+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory pan, homemade (block) arch?

Default Factory pan, homemade (block) arch?

Hey all, I'm doing some early thinking on the upgrade I plan to make for next year with a 50-100 tap capacity pan/arch setup. Just had our first kid this Fall and recently changed jobs, so money is at a premium. However, I've learned by experience it's better not to cut corners.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is if I'd be heading down the wrong road by purchasing a standalone 2x4' pan as an initial investment and building that out on a homemade block arch setup to save some dough? Would I suffer poor evap rates? I have a sense what I'd need to do to make the arch effective but is it a waste to not just buy the steel arch at the same time?

Anyone have experience running pans on their homemade block arch with good success?
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

That's not a bad idea if cash is tight or you want to get into this hobby gradually. I put my money and time into a good set of homemade pans and boiled with them on a block arch for a year until I bought a Mason arch. Then after a few years of that, I upgraded the pans, but put them on the Mason arch. That's where I'm at today. It's hard to lay out thousands of dollars before seeing a drop of syrup for a hobby. Some people can do it. Some can't. For those of us who can't, expanding and improving incrementally is the way to go.

Pans are a bigger factor in evaporation rate than the arch. Getting the pans is worth it.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    That's not a bad idea if cash is tight or you want to get into this hobby gradually. I put my money and time into a good set of homemade pans and boiled with them on a block arch for a year until I bought a Mason arch. Then after a few years of that, I upgraded the pans, but put them on the Mason arch. That's where I'm at today. It's hard to lay out thousands of dollars before seeing a drop of syrup for a hobby. Some people can do it. Some can't. For those of us who can't, expanding and improving incrementally is the way to go.

Pans are a bigger factor in evaporation rate than the arch. Getting the pans is worth it..
    Sean

Good feedback, thank you. I have made syrup over two seasons now but all hotel pans and an outdoor block arch. Do you pictures of your block setup?
    Last edited by ADK_XJ; 04-12-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    --

Washburn, Wi (sugarcamp south of Ashland)

Default Not perfect, but....

This is my cinder block setup with a Smoky Lake 2x4 flat pan. Still working on efficiency, but average anywhere between 6-8 gallons per hour. I lined my block with 2 barrels (free) and a barrel stove kit (about $60). Two years and not a single block with a crack. Next year I am removing the two center pieces of angle iron and will line the perimeter with angle instead, then I will put gasket on this. Additionally, I am going to put blanket in the round part of the barrel near the chimney. Both of these areas are high heat loss, a simple $100 investment should make this setup more efficient and add to it's longevity.

Joe

IMG_0635.jpgIMG_1875.jpg
    New to tapping in 2015! 24 taps on bags - 3 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 50 taps on bags - 8 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 45 taps on bag - 4 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 58 taps on bags - 7 1/2 gallons of syrup

Smoky Lake 2X4 flat pan
    2018 - Smoky Lake 2X5 Corsair Arch with custom built pre-heater pan - 16 GPH!

I have a factory 2x4 flat pan with a 1x2 warming pan that I put on a cinder block arch, I don't pay too much attention to boiling rates but I think when I really get it cranking and keep on top of the firing at a regular interval I get around 10-12 gph. I have yet to fully take the thing apart yet for the year, I am pretty close to you if you wanted to check it out. Hope to finish cleaning the pans this weekend and take the rest apart, now that it should be warm on the weekend.

I've been thinking the same thing as ADK. 6 to 8 GPH wouldn't be much of an improvement over what I'm getting from the 3 steam table pans. 10 to12 would seem pretty good.

I'm curious of what the difference is in jbelany's and Trever5's setups is to account for the different boil rates.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor5 View Post
    I have a factory 2x4 flat pan with a 1x2 warming pan that I put on a cinder block arch, I don't pay too much attention to boiling rates but I think when I really get it cranking and keep on top of the firing at a regular interval I get around 10-12 gph. I have yet to fully take the thing apart yet for the year, I am pretty close to you if you wanted to check it out. Hope to finish cleaning the pans this weekend and take the rest apart, now that it should be warm on the weekend.
    Yeah? I'd appreciate that — might be able to drop out on Sunday AM if that might work for you. I'll drop you a PM.
    --

We have been boiling on a 2x4 flat pan over a block arch for several years now and have had very little problems. I have used cement board and sheet metal to line the "arch", all of which have burnt up in a year or two but kept the block itself in fairly good shape. I have a friend who has used rock wool with success but haven't tried that yet myself.

The biggest problem we have had is the block "arch" itself heaving with the freeze and thaw of less than solid ground. I welded up a 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron frame with threaded rod on the sides to compensate for the changes in the ground. It works good but always have to plug the gaps between the metal frame and the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by red dorakeen View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing as ADK. 6 to 8 GPH wouldn't be much of an improvement over what I'm getting from the 3 steam table pans. 10 to12 would seem pretty good.

I'm curious of what the difference is in jbelany's and Trever5's setups is to account for the different boil rates.
    I will preface by saying 10-12 gph is when I am really on top of things. I do have the pre-heater on the back 1'x2' pan, so really I have a 2x5, though the back pan never boils, it will steam and become very close to boiling by the end of the day.

Arch.jpgArch1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor5 View Post
    I will preface by saying 10-12 gph is when I am really on top of things. I do have the pre-heater on the back 1'x2' pan, so really I have a 2x5, though the back pan never boils, it will steam and become very close to boiling by the end of the day.

Attachment 14221Attachment 14222
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

It looks mortared. Is it insulated and fire bricked?

I suspect I would need to put more work into my block arch to see as good a boil rate as you get with a new pan.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast