+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice bucket

Jake,

Don't beat yourself up on this. Yes, very unfortunate that this "publicity" is on the front page, but nobody knows what the local newspaper might photograph and publish until it's out there. You did what you could to correct the matter.
    It doesn't matter how "traditional" anyone is, in this day and age you would think common sense would prevail when making a food product. Inexpensive food-grade pails are everywhere and suitable, used cage tanks can be had pretty easily too.
    And I'm guilty here too. Many years ago when I started out I used some drywall mud pails for sap collection. Thinking back on it, it might explain why some neighbors never asked to buy my syrup.
    Thanks for explaining the situation to us and thanks for trying to correct that producers practices.

And there's nothing wrong with the photo of your operation. I don't think anyone would have thought anything about the sap pail setting there. Everyone can clearly see your draw-off tank there. There is nothing alarming in that picture! Although Don does look "very deep in thought" there...lol.

Steve
    Last edited by Bucket Head; 04-06-2016 at 11:17 PM.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

To paraphrase Austin Powers: 'Ouch. Very ouch, baby.' I am both a writer and a photographer, so I can see that the photog was trying to compose a decent pic with that pour shot. However, there are so many instances of dubious materials being used, esp for sap storage and collection. The people I learned to sugar from still use ancient buckets with what is probably lead solder, along with newer; they store in a caged container. Hell, though I use aluminum sap pails, and food-grade buckets to collect in, and 15l water bottles to store it in til I run out of them. Then, I can and do use a 70l Brute garbage can - which has ONLY ever been used for sap storage outside when I get crazy amounts like 100l a day, thankya verra much. And I know I'm not the only one using non-food grade containers for short-term outside sap storage. Needs must.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Speaking of Rubbermaid Brute containers. They are made out of "LLDPE" Linear Low Density Polyethlene. From what i have read so far it is an acceptable food grade product. I am wanting to collect my sap in 10 & 20 gal Brute container. Does anyone know about LLDPE and Brute containers for collecting?

G263

Quote Originally Posted by G263 View Post
    Speaking of Rubbermaid Brute containers. They are made out of "LLDPE" Linear Low Density Polyethlene. From what i have read so far it is an acceptable food grade product. I am wanting to collect my sap in 10 & 20 gal Brute container. Does anyone know about LLDPE and Brute containers for collecting?

G263

do a search for "brute" on the upper right of this page - been discussed several times recently
    Last edited by tuckermtn; 12-02-2016 at 08:46 PM.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12