+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice bucket

lpakiz Guest

Ouch!!!!!!!!

That's unfortunate. We all need to police our equipment for this very reason. Several years ago Vermont magazine had a cover photo showing a guy dumping sap from a blue Valvoline Motor Oil pail. Closer to home, a producer had plastic pails hanging on their trees that originally had industrial floor wax in them. They were close to the road and everyone saw them. It was mentioned to me by several people who passed by them.

Unfortunately, this is the reason why the day of dreaded (and possibly production-ending) inspections and permits is coming.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

That Hurts, How's that saying go? Here's your sign!
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Dude!!!!!!!
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I'm not sure what's worse, the oil bucket or the rusty, galvanized,and probably lead soldered tank. Neither are a good image.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

That collection tank is not soldered, it is a 275 gallon heating oil tank on it's side.

https://www.facebook.com/Mosers-Mapl...=page_internal

OH boy!!

I am wondering whats up with the bucket handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    Unfortunately, this is the reason why the day of dreaded (and possibly production-ending) inspections and permits is coming.
    I think you are right. The "Do-Gooders" that legislate are going to come sooner or later.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Ok so let me jump in here to just be make sure this operation is not confused with ours. We are Moser's Maple LLC officially. It is me and my 2 brothers that own the business. Jake, Don and Bryan. We took over the business from our father Dale 5 years ago.
    here's a link to our website
    http://mosersmaple.com/
    and our FB page
    https://www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
    We are located in Croghan, NY....not Copenhagen, NY which is about 15 minutes away. I know the producer personally that this and the oil tank gathering tub pictures are from. He is a very nice producer and respected producer , but with that said he is one of many "traditional" producers that is found in my area. I as acting Lewis County Maple Producers Association President have been aware of picture since March 10th. I have spoken numerous times with this producer about this picture and other practices and have explained in the most delicate way possible that pails and tub of this nature are not longer acceptable in the public eye. Now as producers we all know how you would feel if somebody came to your operation and began telling you of acceptable practices and equipment and how that would go over, and this was much the same case here. I'll admit that this is surely not great exposure for the industry, and for us members if the LCMPA, but unfortunately I was not contacted before this photo appearance to make sure that his operation was up to date with good food safe practices.
    I can report since this article was written he does now use food grade pails for collecting, as for the collection tank I have no idea, because on my for my follow up visit I was not greeted with the warmest welcome if you are following my drift.
    here's a pic from a recent new article of our operation.
    http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/n...d-one-20160404
    As you can see I screwed up too because I didn't double check the environment before the photographer began his photo session. The galvanized bucket you see in the back is by no means what we draw off our syrup in. It is placed under the hydrometer cup to catch the drippings because when we check for density out of the finishing pan we will flood the cup 2-3x to warm up the cup to get an accurate hot temp reading. I realize how this picture looks for the industry as a whole and for this I truly apologize for not being more cognizant of the environment around the evaporator.
    As for the bucket handles they are simply threaded rod drilled through either a hard wood dowl or old hard wood handle. These are used primarily in our bucket producers because with a standard handle you have to reach down farther to pick up the handle. with the rod handle, it is always on top and after collecting 3000 or so buckets a day it saves on your back and legs
    Last edited by Moser's Maple; 04-06-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: misspellings
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast