+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wes Fab 7" short stack filter press

I went ahead and got it. Can't wait for next year already to see how it works! The only thing I wish it came with some sort of manual, especially for a first time user like myself.
    2019 99 taps on buckets (95 red & 4 sugar)
    W.F. Mason 2x4 XL

Dr. Perkins put a manual on the forum last season that was very helpful.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Couldn't find a manual for the hand pump version but found this and thought i'd drop it here for future readers.
    https://www.rothsugarbush.com/wp-con...ess-manual.pdf
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I stopped adding the syrup that I drain out of the filter plates to the evaporator. I just pour it back into the draw off tank at the evaporator. I found that after doing it a bunch of times I had DE building up in the pans. And the syrup in the press is already syrup that DE is going to get added to anyways. So why not. Yes there should not be DE in the syrup draining out it should be in the plates. But somehow it’s in there
    I crack open the wingnuts when it’s real hot and drain all the hot syrup out. Let the press cool down and break apart and clean. Very little syrup wasted. I even tip the press on its side and drain whatever is in the pump and lines out.
    Run a little hot water through the pump on bypass and open the press valve just a crack to blow some hot water through it and she’s ready to go for the next day.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Default Same here - price for upgrade to Wes Fab short bank?

Hi everyone, like many here I’m considering upgrading from flat filtering for efficiency and quality clear syrup. My syrup off the flat filter is pretty clear already but it can be slow especially when I count the hours to clean 2 sets of felt and pre filters each night of boiling. Some of you like Jal Bear said they got a really good on their Wes Fab shirt bank 7”, so I thought I’d ask what you think of a used, almost new one, at $1,050, with gear pump and installed on a cart, from a reputable retailer.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

Quote Originally Posted by tgormley358 View Post
    Hi everyone, like many here I’m considering upgrading from flat filtering for efficiency and quality clear syrup. My syrup off the flat filter is pretty clear already but it can be slow especially when I count the hours to clean 2 sets of felt and pre filters each night of boiling. Some of you like Jal Bear said they got a really good on their Wes Fab shirt bank 7”, so I thought I’d ask what you think of a used, almost new one, at $1,050, with gear pump and installed on a cart, from a reputable retailer.
    Seems like a pretty fair deal if it has the pump and a cart to go with it. I bought mine used with the hand pump and it was worth every penny. I can't believe i wait 6 years to get one, it's a total game changer. Worked perfectly to filter my 30 gals in a few batches, obviously the hand pump took some effort but still beats dealing with cone and flat filters any day.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I had a 7" WF short stack press with the hand pump. It didn't take long to figure out that I needed a mechanical pump of some kind. I went with the AOD pump and never looked back. The hand pump version is built cheaper than the mechanical pump version and can't handle the pressure. The work around for that was to run the air pump at the lowest speed possible and just let it chug along. It pumped a lot of syrup before the pressure got too high and I covered it with a towel to keep syrup off of the ceiling when it did.

I upgraded to a WF full stack press with the AOD pump and really loved it. I recommend to anyone thinking of buying a new press to get the AOD pump over the gear pump or the new electric diaphragm pump. The new electric diaphragm pump isn't rated to handle the heat and because of that the manufacturer won't warranty it. You need to use a bypass with the gear pump to control the pressure and flow and you have the added mess of the 3rd hose to deal with.

Of course if you find a deal on a used press buy it. A press of any kind is better than gravity filtration.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I would suggest a vacuum press. will do the same thing for same money plus it doubles as a canner with direct heat.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12