+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lollipops

Default Lollipops

So my wife decided after watching a story on the local news that she wanted to make some lollipops. So I looked up recipes on hear for her. When I told her she needed to add glucose or some other ingredients she said they didn't on the news. So we made them the way she saw it done and they came out fine. We just heated the syrup to 295 degrees and poured into the forms. They came out good. So my question is why do some recipes add other ingredients like corn syrup, Kero syrup, or invertase( spelling?). Is this something that extends shelf life? Thanks for replies

I believe adding other ingredients is more of a way of saving syrup although it might add to the shelf life. Typical rock candy is white sugar with karo syrup so some recipes will just substitute syrup for white sugar.
    Jared

Sounds like a good way to save on the cost. thanks for the reply.

It has nothing to do with costs. To make candy that doesn't pull out customer filling, other ingredients are added. Ours are 50% syrup, as is every recipe I have seen.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

We didn't seem to have that problem with the ones we made. I have bought some before that were very sticky. The ones we made we heated to almost 300 degrees and they came out very hard and very brittle. I don't know if it matters but we did use a very dark syrup. We are going to make some more so it will be interesting to see if they turn out the same or do get the stickiness this time around. Its all a learning experience for us.

I was interested in making some lolli's for the kids and some friends. What is the typical recipe for a small batch and how is the batch prepared before it goes into the mold? i.e temp, other ingredients, stirring, etc.

Thanks for any info,
    Ben

The ones we made were just maple syrup. We used a cup and a half of syrup. We heated our syrup in a small saucepan with high sides so as not to make a mess boiling over. We heated the syrup to almost 300 degrees and shut the heat off and let it settle for a little bit before pouring into candy molds. I don't think you can wait to long as it does cool fairly quickly and get hard to pour. We put ours in a glass measuring cup so we could reheat it a little bit in the microwave to be able to keep pouring. When heating it to 300 we started on medium heat till it got to about 280 then we turned the heat down to low. When it gets to about 292 we shut the heat off. It still gained 3-4 degree from the heat in the pan. It rises very quickly once it hit the 290 temp. I will say these turn out to have a very strong maple flavor that some people may find to strong. They are also very dark colored almost like chocolate. I looked at some recipes on here that call for adding glucose or Karo syrup and some other ingredients. These recipes may make the candies more like what you see at stores but I can't say that for sure because I didn't make them that way. I've also been told they are made with these ingredients so they don't stick to your teeth. We didn't experience that with the ones we made but we've only made them once so take everything I say as a complete novice at it. Lol

Also there are other ingredients because it will make a bigger batch with less syrup. I do 1 cup of very dark syrup , 1 cup of corn syrup , and 1 cup of white sugar. Take it up to 275 degrees. We store them in the fridge so they last longer but we haven't been able to test that theory because we cann't keep them in stock. Great seller and you make good money on them.

John

John, what molds do you use? I can't imagine the thin, white plastic lollipop molds I've seen withstanding those temps. How many lollipops do you get from your batch?

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Yes those are the molds I use. I buy them from leader and they are made to withstand the temperature. I get around 50 lollipops , so I get 4 batches out of one quart of syrup.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast