+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *Gauging Interest* Who wants to sell Birch sap?

Wow, 5000 is a good count. I think that their sap is fine also. I love yellow birch, I think its my favorite tree. I'm planning to hang buckets on a couple of birches just to see what their flow is like. Part of the problem of my idea of making birch syrup is I think that the season overlaps, or could overlap, with maple. I need to do more research before considering anything too seriously. Thanks for your interest and i'll keep you posted on any further action I take.

It may be worth getting in touch with the guys at Georgia Mtn. Maples. They have been making birch syrup on a pretty good sized scale for several years now. They have always been very friendly and helpful when I have brought groups there for tours.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Thanks for the tip, General. I think I'll go by there as I am only 20 minutes away and check out what they do once birch season begins.

Michael Farrell is a great resource for birch as well:

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/w...irch-syrup/56/
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

Quote Originally Posted by WestfordSugarworks View Post
    Thanks for the tip, General. I think I'll go by there as I am only 20 minutes away and check out what they do once birch season begins.
    I'm pretty sure birch season has already began for them. I went to their breakfast Saturday morning, and they had both their maple and birch rig boiling. I didn't go look at their birch rig to see if they were actually boiling sap or just water for the effect though.

According to a FB post by the manager, they have indeed sweetened the pans on the birch rig.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

Are we talking "all" birch or just yellow? or ??? We have acres of white paper birch here in north central Wis. and over the years I've seen them seriously distressed after a wound through the bark. Some are getting Inonotus fungus (black fungus) on them and that kills them after a few years, that usually happens right where there was damage to the bark. I would like to try tapping ours if its OK to do so. Thanks for the help. jay
    Zucker Lager

Quote Originally Posted by WestfordSugarworks View Post
    Just remember that when you taste their birch syrup only put a very small amount in your mouth. As soon as it touches your taste buds you're going to want to spit it out but you can't. My friends in Alaska are in full swing right now selling birch sap. I helped them get started about 6-7 years ago. My best friend that lives in Alaska helps me tap my trees every year. He brings me a jug of birch syrup just for fun. I don't like it at all but it's exciting to see people starting to tap birch. I talked to a guy yesterday that said he would buy my birch sap if I wanted to tap them next season. I am waiting to hear back on price he will pay.

Spud

Everyone that I've heard that's tried it hasn't liked it. What does it taste like? If it tastes so bad what is the big hype about it? Is it just being used as a natural sweetener?

Properly made birch syrup has a very pronounced molasses flavour. The darker the grade, the more intense it is. It's certainly not offensive or anything, but definitely something that you use sparingly in your cooking, BBQing and baking until you are familiar with its flavour profile. It can overwhelm a dish very quickly. I keep some amber gold grade in my fridge and a little goes a long way.

I had some improperly made birch syrup once, and it was inedible. No fault of the sap, just an issue with how it was boiled/scorched.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast