+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: question on slope requirement for 30 foot of drop after the last tap on a 3/16

Like Cody said figure on about two gallons per tap minimum. Size depends on how often you want to empty the tanks.

I'm running three drop lines of the 3/16 tubing with around 50 taps. Each drop line has it's own barrel and when the sap was running good last week the barrels were overflowing almost every day.

Can anyone suggest what to read or where to get some info on the guidelines/how to install a 3/16" tubing system? I've been picking up a little here and there but don't understand it totally. I would like to try it next year. Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

On youtube 3/16 maple tubing at Krueger-Norton sugerbush in Vermont. On This site just search 3/16 tubing allot to go through,but you should get a good idea.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

I had some slope but did not have the 30 foot drop after the last tap on my five 3/16 lines. The most I could generate was 10 inches of vacuum. Yes, a little disappointing but they all produced sap when my buckets were doing nothing. "Some vacuum is better than no vacuum" is a true statement.

Just don't expect the numbers some folks are getting. Everyone's terrain is different and some (like me) just don't have enough slope for optimum vacuum. I hope to try some Shurflo pumps next year to help out my lack of slope.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Quote Originally Posted by binski View Post
    Can anyone suggest what to read or where to get some info on the guidelines/how to install a 3/16" tubing system? I've been picking up a little here and there but don't understand it totally. I would like to try it next year. Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.
    It's actually very simple. Use an end of line hook

for each run. Insert it into the tubing, wrap the tubing around the top tree at about the 6' height (or lower if the top tree is on a slope) at the highest elevation of the sapline, and hook the fitting over the line to make a reasonably tight loop around the tree. Snake the line around as necessary to each tree that you plan to tap, making sure the line always slopes down. Install a tee fitting,

drop tube (maximum 4'), and spout

at each tree you intend to tap. Use non-maples or maples that are too small to tap for supporting the line as necessary, so that you'll have no unsupported spans greater than 50'. The friction of the bark is normally enough to hold the line up, but you can use rope as required. When you get to the bottom tree (the last tree you will tap for that line), route the line down the slope to the anchor tree where you will place your collection vessel. Try to keep the line high enough so it will not get buried in snowfalls. You could also tie into a mainline, but I'm keeping this simple.

Anchor the bottom end of the line by threading the tubing into the hollow core of cheap woven 1/4" poly rope and then back out about 8" down, and tying this rope around the anchor tree. This works as a tensioner by pulling the sapline toward you while pushing the end of the rope away from you. The woven hollow core rope will degrade before the tubing does, but it's cheap and easy to replace. Now route the line into your collection vessel and tap your trees.
    Last edited by Cedar Eater; 04-12-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Does it matter if the drop tube is 3/16 or 5/16 (other than to make sure the fitting is the same)?
    The shurflo pump is to help for flat elevations or where you want/need more vacuum (was wondering about that). Does the shurflo run continuously or just to get the vacuum/flow going?
    This helps answer a few questions I had.
    Thanks

Does it matter if the drop tube is 3/16 or 5/16 (other than to make sure the fitting is the same)?
    The shurflo pump is to help for flat elevations or where you want/need more vacuum (was wondering about that). Does the shurflo run continuously or just to get the vacuum/flow going?
    This helps answer a few questions I had.
    Thanks
    You can use either size for your drop lines. Only reason I can think of to use 5/16 would be to use a specific spout that's not available with a 3/16 barb. Or if you've already got a few rolls of it lying around. Using all 3/16 would make things simpler,I would imagine.

On a system without maximum vacuum provided by gravity, the Shurflo pump increases the vacuum at the taphole. Generally speaking, if it's above freezing, run the pump.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Sorry, another question. Generally/typically speaking is the tubing about 3'-4' high from the ground and the tap another 2' or so above that? I understand the end tree (furthest from the tank) is going to be highest but how high is high? Tap about 6' from the ground? I keep thinking I will "run out of tree" buy the time I get to my 30th tree. I guess it doesn't need to slope a whole lot from tree to tree?

Are you tapping on a good slope or flat ground.We tapped all ours about 4' from the ground,but were on a good slope.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

Sorry, another question. Generally/typically speaking is the tubing about 3'-4' high from the ground and the tap another 2' or so above that? I understand the end tree (furthest from the tank) is going to be highest but how high is high? Tap about 6' from the ground? I keep thinking I will "run out of tree" buy the time I get to my 30th tree. I guess it doesn't need to slope a whole lot from tree to tree?
    You only need about 1-2% slope from tree to tree. Just enough so the sap doesn't pool. then if you can after the last tree start your drop to the collection point.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast