+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
Results 191 to 192 of 192

Thread: hodorskib's Small Scale RO Build

  1. #191
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Westford, VT
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Many thanks to Hodorskib and others for sharing their experience with small scale RO builds. Last year I used the RO Bucket (RB-10) with Aquatech 8855 and 2x400 gpd membranes in parallel with pretty good results overall. This year I decided to disassemble the Bucket and mount it to a board to ease access to the RO components. I often found myself chasing a small air leak in the tubing connections and had difficulty getting to the tubing connections to ensure they were fully seated. I'm hoping that the board mount will provide easier locating and fixing of leaks, or, even more so, I'm hoping I'll be able to assemble the tubing connections properly to prevent leaks. I also will add a another membrane to make it a 3x400 gpd kit and plumb it in series like the Hodorskib Build.

    Quote Originally Posted by hodorskib View Post
    I have successfully run 3 x 400 gpd membranes with my pump and 6 x 150 gpd beyond that I have found there is no difference and the last membranes do nothing.
    Hodorskib: I recall you indicated in a posting quite a ways back that you had planned to share the results of the 3 x 400 gpd system. I've searched these postings and your website but could not find it. I'm curious how the 3 x 400 gpd system performed compared to the 6 x 150 gpd.
    2014-2017 - 3 taps - open fire boil
    2018 - 33 taps on 3/16 20" Hg, 3 buckets, barrel evaporator, RO Bucket

  2. #192
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakville, CT
    Posts
    233

    Default

    MDR - sorry never posted the results from running both systems last year. The 6 x 150gpd system worked flawlessly I put about 2,000 gallons of sap through it over the course of the season. My sap was running around 1.3% and I was concentrating to around 7.5% and was processing about about 9-10 gallons per hour through the system. I was able to remove 84% of the water in a single pass. This was also the first year I was using RO soap instead of Hydrogen Peroxide. I did a wash after each run and found that there was no loss in performance over the entire season. If your sap is more around 2% I would only go with 5 membranes. My system with 3 x 400gpd membranes did not do as well. I had it plumbed with 3/8" tubing throughout and although was able to concentrate to the same level 7.5% but the rate of process was not as fast with only about 7-8 gallons per hour. However, I lent it to a friend who was swimming in sap and had him set it so that it was a 50 - 50 permeate to concentrate. This worked extremely well and allowed him to process between 250-300 gallons per day which was perfect for his needs. I think the larger membranes need a higher flow. As for mounting your system to a board it will make things a lot easier to work on. Last year I put mine together on casters which still allowed for easy access but took up less area and made it easier to move around. I will be posting pictures to my website sometime next week after I take it out of storage.
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    34 gallons produced in 2018
    100 taps (90 on 3/16" tubing)
    Homemade RO added in 2012
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts