+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cream gritty after refridge

Default Cream gritty after refridge

Boiled syrup 20 degrees over boil point and then let it cool down to about 80 degrees. Then we placed in our kitchen aid and mixed until we got a nice creamy color (peanut butter). After that we placed them in the fridge and three days later pulled one out to use and the whole thing was nothing but gritty. What the heck went wrong? This was our first time trying this out.

I think it would be an issue with not cooking it long enough.Most recommendations are 22-24 degrees above the boiling point. Also it could be you stopped stirring it to soon.
    Last edited by lmathews; 03-28-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: forgot
    3x12 D&G Champion, 1100 taps w/27" of vac.New in 2013 600gph RO. 10 buckets for the kids.

I have had that problem in the past too. The issue is that you didn't stir it long enough to form crystals and the cream crystallized after it set up. Like lmathews said the temperture should be 22-24 degrees above the boiling point of water for that day.

Now to save the cream that you made put it back into the mixer at room temperature and add room temperature butter at a 50/50 ratio. Set the mixer on the lowest speed and walk away from it for 45 minutes or more and let the mixer do it's thing. It should come out smooth and creamy.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

So how long should you mix it? Should the mixer be set to lowest setting or can it go up a couple of notches? The first batch seemed to take forever to turn color and the other one seem to turn color alot quicker.

I did not have good luck making cream in a mixer. It came out grainy too. The pan and paddle machines and hand stirring are similar. They just move the syrup out of the way and don't really mix it fast. The gear machines run pretty slow like 60 RPM or so. We have made it by hand the hard way and with a home built gear machine. Both of those methods have generally resulted in fine smooth grain cream.
    I agree boiling point is critical. I go to 234F most of the time. I would also cool more. I put ours in the freezer over night then warm gently before agitation.
    Hope this helps.
    Don't give up! As mentioned these grainy batches can be made into other products too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I would recommend speed 4 to start and if it starts to bog down turn it to 6 I have even had to turn mine up to 10.If you are doing batches 1st one is usually 30 min to finish.Next ones are a lot faster.
    3x12 D&G Champion, 1100 taps w/27" of vac.New in 2013 600gph RO. 10 buckets for the kids.

+ Reply to Thread