+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for trees

Default Looking for trees

A little bit of an odd request, but I am looking for anyone that may know of someone with 25-50 trees that I could tap for the upcoming season in exchange for some finished syrup. Unfortunately the property that I had lined up will be inaccessible this season. If I could run tubing to a tank and pump it off a few times a week that would be ideal. Closer to Plymouth/Newport area the better.

I think that your best bet would be to ride around and try to find some areas with good amounts of Maples, I would focus on old farm properties and places with slopes that run to the road. Most people especially Natives tend to be pretty open to Letting people use their Trees. I used to run 300 bucket taps and I cant think of anyone that ever said no.

People like Maple Syrup and they Like to be able to say this syrup was made from our Trees. Most people like to see young people working hard at something too.

It is also Helpful to explain things like how many Taps you would be putting in a Tree and details like today's Taps make a wound roughly 1/3 the size of the old 7/16 Taps.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 12-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I agree with hutch. Ride around fine hard maples next to the road. Talk to the owner and trade syrup for tapping (rent the trees) We pay 1 gallon of syrup for every 100 taps. so 25 taps would be a quart. Or set your own rate and payment plan.
    Stop every day it runs and gather it up.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for the replies. It appears that I may have found enough trees for the season without venturing too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 - 20 Taps on 3/16, Barrel evaporator with 2 steam pans. Unknown amount.
    2019 - Nothing
    2020 - 30 Taps on Shurflo, 30 taps on 3/16, 2x5 oil tank evaporator, 11 Gallons.
    2021 - 35 Taps on Shurflo, 11 buckets, RB10 RO Bucket, 2x3XL Mason Evaporator. 4 gallons
    2022 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, 77 taps on 3/16 gravity, 13 buckets to hit 200, Upgrade to RB15 RO Bucket.
    2023 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, New 3/4 Mainline with 125 taps, 2x4 raised flue, Upgrade to Homemade 4x40 RO.

+ Reply to Thread