+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can the sweet stuff sit?

Default How long can the sweet stuff sit?

I'm new to running a real evaporator and have always cooked batches. With a 2x6, once the pans are sweet and you shut down, I assume you cover the syrup pans with something (plywood?) and wait for the next run. Since the stuff has been sterilized I guess it can sit for a while, but how long is reasonable between firings?
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

If it looks to me that it's gonna be more than a couple days, I bring it to a short boil, then let the fire go out. Once it's safe to do so, I drain into 5 gallon buckets with tight lids, chasing it with water. Then flush & clean the pans, once everythings cool enough.

When I'm ready to start boiling again, I put the sweetest in the syrup pan, working my way back to the flue pan with the thinner stuff.
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

In the past I have let my 2x6 sit for as long as 2 weeks but in addition to being sterilized it sat frozen for that period. I left the syrup pan open back into the flue pan the condensed sap would sweeten the flue pan so that it never froze hard enough to hurt anyting.
    Jon
    2 1/8 x 8 Leader Inferno Arch W/ steamaway , hood and Marcland auto drawoff
    M6040 Kubota w/ cab and lift
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    http://jwhitjw.spaces.live.com/photo...D0BF1C18E!116/

I do exactly what ibby does. I will let it sit (after being boiled) for a few days but when the temp headed for 70+ this week I drained the rig. On a 2x6 it's not too bad to drain it out.

What do you use for covers while it sits in the pans? Got to keep critters out and any dust/debris.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I use what I have laying around
    I use a piece of cement board on the flue pan and a piece of plywood on the syrup pan. If I was going to buy covers, I'd probably buy cement board for all of it. That way you don't have any risk of fire and don't have to wait a long time to cover them after a run. I know some others use foam board like they sell for insulation at Home Depot but again, you'd have to wait for it to cool down first to keep from melting.

Riley... I've been wondering the very same thing.

So far this year I've just been leaving it sit in my evaporator. With up to 5 days in between boils. That stint was when it was cold though.

I boiled last night, and I'm wondering when the next run will be? I think if it stays cool during the day (below 40 deg), I'm going to leave it in the pan.

I don't have drains in my flues, so if I drain the pan I will have to try and cyphon (sp) it out of the flues. Kind of a pain.

For those that drain the pans into 5 gallon buckets... where do you store everything (sap, almost syrup) until your ready to boil again?
    1986 Ford F250 Sap Hauler
    Homemade wood fired 2x6
    120ish on tubing for 2011
    http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/zimmerj/

oh yeah... i cover my rig w/ a sheet the following morning when it's all done steaming.
    1986 Ford F250 Sap Hauler
    Homemade wood fired 2x6
    120ish on tubing for 2011
    http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/zimmerj/

If your flues don't have drains (mine don't) buy a new siphon hand squeeze pump. They sell them for kerosene transfer but they also work great for emptying flues.

I keep the high concentrate in sealed buckets in the sugar house. The lower concentrate I bring inside and boil it down a bit on the stove. Worst case, I just throw out the low concentrate (usually less than 5 gal on my 2x6). By taking it off the rig I at least keep the low concentrate from infecting the high concentrate.

Mark

Last year we had a week of darn warm weather. I boiled all the lower cencentrates in a turkey fryer until all of it was at least 35%, then hot packed it in 5 gallon pails, and left them in the sugarhouse. It kept just fine for a week.
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast