+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sap flowing into buckets, but not tubing

Default Sap flowing into buckets, but not tubing

We're in Michigan and fortunately our trees didn't bud during the two-week warm spell so we're once again making syrup. However, we are getting very little sap coming into our vacuum tubing. It's not that it is not drawing the sap through the system. The lines are fairly empty so it appears the holes are not producing. Sap is flowing well into our buckets, bags and gravity tubing that were tapped just one day later. Can anybody ponder why this would be and what we can do about it? I always thought tubed holes dried up later then bucket holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    300 trees • 700 taps • sugaring these woods since 1882
    6th generation drinks sap right from the buckets (fortunately most of the woods is tubed!)

happy to be raising homegrown kids in the family farmhouse at the maple woods • married into maple and brought my marketing background, learning production

Twitter http://twitter.com/BattelSyrup
    Facebook http://companies.to/syrup/
    Maple Syrup Saturday open house third Saturday in March

Sue, I have been battling this late season flow myself. Some of my best 2-tap trees that were filling buckets stopped running, and some of my 1-tap trees that were filling 1/2 a bucket are still filling 1/2 a bucket. 2 of my best trees 4ft. apart, 1 is still filling 1/2 a bucket and the other one nothing. No rhyme or reason.

I collected and did a test boil on the stove and my sap is bad. All hard maples, no buds. You had better check yours.
    Dave Kauffman
    16th. year
    Clarksville, Michigan

Thanks, Dave. It's still good. We pulled taps from the only three soft maples. We made 8 good gallons yesterday and 4 today.

6th generation drinks sap right from the buckets (fortunately most of the woods is tubed!)

happy to be raising homegrown kids in the family farmhouse at the maple woods • married into maple and brought my marketing background, learning production

Are you getting a good vacuum at the ends of the lines? Some is good, but more is better. Are the trees on buckets different in some way, like a different slope or more sun? Did you use a different drill bit for the tubing spiles? Tap on a different side of the tree?
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Good questions, Cedar Eater. Yes on good vacuum. Bagged and gravity trees are tapped by our kids and are mostly roadside so I know they'll naturally produce better. Bucket trees are right in the middle of vacuum tubed so there should be very little difference.

Just now, reading a past post that linked to a Proctor Center report gave me a clue. I had my kids sterilize their spiles by boiling and the spiles used on the bucket trees were also boiled. The spiles on vacuum tubing have been on the droplines over winters and are old. I'm thinking the sustained high temps we had may have been enough to cause bacterial growth in the old spiles that the sterilized ones didn't get.

Still open to hearing more ideas. Thanks!

Sue is exactly right. I had the same issue a few years back when I still had a mix of buckets and tubing with drop lines. The spouts are likely not sterile and may have spores and bacteria on them. After about two weeks of use your tap hole will "dry up", but on a new or clean tap you will get several weeks longer season. Steven Childs at Proctor Maple reseach has some great studies on this. It it well worth it to sterilize every year or go with the disposable taps. I did and it completely solved my issue.

I'm certainly a believer in sterilization of spliles. We bought new stainless spiles this year, and I rinsed them out well then baked them in the oven at 300 deg F for a half hour. We tapped in late January, and when we pulled taps in early March, half of our bags were full (3 gallons in 36 hrs, but no more freezing nights in the forecast). A few had dried up, but considering we had times when it never got below freezing for 4 or 5 days, and considering the last week before we pulled taps had several days that hit 80 deg F, I was impressed. A friend tapped in early February and gave us the sap. His taps dried up in two or three weeks.
    The Evolution
    2015 - 2x4 flat pan on block arch, 2016 added dividers for continuous flow
    2017 - 2x6 Sunrise Pan (4' Flue, 2' Syrup) on homemade arch with AUF, 2018 added AOF
    2019 - Sunrise water jacketed bottler

I think if I was going to reuse spiles on tubing runs, I would probably sterilize them by soaking in full strength hydrogen peroxide before tapping. I don't know how long they would have to soak for, but I think any length of time would help.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush View Post
    Good questions, Cedar Eater. Yes on good vacuum. Bagged and gravity trees are tapped by our kids and are mostly roadside so I know they'll naturally produce better. Bucket trees are right in the middle of vacuum tubed so there should be very little difference.

Just now, reading a past post that linked to a Proctor Center report gave me a clue. I had my kids sterilize their spiles by boiling and the spiles used on the bucket trees were also boiled. The spiles on vacuum tubing have been on the droplines over winters and are old. I'm thinking the sustained high temps we had may have been enough to cause bacterial growth in the old spiles that the sterilized ones didn't get.

Still open to hearing more ideas. Thanks!

Hi Sue,
    don't know if you saw my post about reviving dry tap holes, but all my tapholes quit running (on buckets) after 4 weeks and all my spiles were brand new. I think the warm spell we had is the culprit, perfect conditions for the microbes to multiply. I redrilled the tap holes and they started flowing again. I guess it's called reaming, according to Dr. Tim. But if you wanted to try an experiment, you could try redrilling one of your vacuum trees and see if it starts flowing again. If it does, at least then you would know it's not a problem with your tubing system.

glad I stumbled upon this information. golden info. or amber.
    2014- about 20 taps on buckets. 20 gal pot from grampa don't recall how much syrup
    2015- about 50 taps, had an unfortunate burn but made out with 5 gallons
    2016-Decided to try and make a career of sapping. 250 taps some tubing mostly buckets. bought a 2x6 small brothers flue pan. 325 gal storage tank.250 honda big red with trailer sap wagon.
    -building a sugar shack this spring.
    -a fantastically supportive and helpful Jasmine makes it all happen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast