+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check valves on 3/16th tubing

I use (and replace annually) check valve spiles on 3/16 drops/laterals on aquatec and shurflo vacuum setups. Very very happy with them. One other possible benefit is preventing backflow when tapping below the lateral line. Tapping below lateral on vac systems (or nat vac if you have adequate slope/setup) is effective and can increase tapping band on a tree. The check valve seems like it would be more effective because you could not get the air gap (which is what prevents the backflow) using 5/16 drop lines.

Tapping below lateral might be necessary or desired due to various factors.... prior over tapping.... height of latteral....
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Dr. Tim, I know that you've recommended dropline replacement every 3 seasons to optimize yields and I was wondering about the timing of the dropline replacement. Specifically, can it be done at the end of the season while pulling the old taps or is there a risk of contamination between then and the next season? Would it be better to replace them in the fall or winter? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

A few rock walls down from where Andy hid the money for Red.

Thanks Doc. for the updated research, and everyone else’s input. I’ve been swapping out new t’s, drops and spouts(are t’s assumed with drops?) annually or every other on average. i’m always stocked with drops in the woods and if I see something I don’t like, I switch it out. Looking for a balance between new material and best sanitation practices. I typically get in early and end my season on the early side to combat sanitation issues as well so check valves may have a much less return on investment for someone that follows the same practices.

The first raw oyster I find jamming up my vacuum strainer is when I’m out. I’d rather deal with the headaches during freeze ups.

I viewed the above article and to my understanding, this study consisted of 3/16 lines and 3/16 drops. Is there any current data on 3/16 with 5/16 drops?

Another consideration is what actually happens to the circumference of the interior diameter of the tubing over time as it is being stretched out from tees being swapped out and the weight of long tree to tree runs?

Quick note on sanitation. This year, I added a small, above ground cartridge filter before the vacuum dumps into my holding tank. It is gravity fed and did a fantastic job of keeping the microbes down in the tank. Here’s a quick video I made if you would like a visual:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TjKy3UthAds&feature=share

This one shows a technique on how to clean the shurflo strainer without losing vacuum and creating backflow:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OtgRVHPCQmY&feature=share
    Last edited by M&M Maple Grove; 03-31-2022 at 08:06 PM.
    Roughly 300 taps on a hybrid 3/16 gravity/Shurflo vacuum system.
    12x16 Solo build timber frame sugar house.
    RO Bucket RB-20 with 2nd booster pump(screaming for a coffee break)
    Mismatched Grimm Lighting(Vermont) 2x4 raised flue/ Small Brothers(Quebec) 3x3 syrup pan on modified oil tank arch.

“This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Al

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12