+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader check valve spiles

Hybrid View

5/16th Canadian tapping bit and generally drilling while the trees are frozen. Spiles are tapped in until vibration ceases. Leaks are suspected when a continuous series of air bubbles are observed coming from the spile and entering the drop line (sap racing into mainline manifold leads alerts me to the problem lateral line and hence to the leaky tap hole). Once the spile is reseated, the air bubble formation either ceases or is slowed.
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

I have used the CV2's 100% for 2 seasons and 100 the season before to check them out. I have had 6 or so out of 1500 break when installing them and also tap when the trees are frozen. I tap mostly red maples and do have to go back and re-seat some of them after the trees thaw. After they have been re-seated I haven't had any loosen again. I tap them in with the flat side of a pair of linesman's pliers and tap them in until the tap tap tap sound changes to a thud. I had the drop line come off of one yesterday after a tree fell across the lateral. The spout didn't break or loosen in the tree.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by northwoods_forestry View Post
    5/16th Canadian tapping bit and generally drilling while the trees are frozen. Spiles are tapped in until vibration ceases. Leaks are suspected when a continuous series of air bubbles are observed coming from the spile and entering the drop line (sap racing into mainline manifold leads alerts me to the problem lateral line and hence to the leaky tap hole). Once the spile is reseated, the air bubble formation either ceases or is slowed.
    I ditto what you said. Same symptoms and problems.
    2x8 Phaneuf,raised flue.
    250 taps
    Mechanical BG releaser
    Gast 0822 vacuum pump
    16"x16" Leader Filter/canning Unit
    10'x16' Sugar Shack

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger View Post
    I ditto what you said. Same symptoms and problems.
    Two thoughts:

1. They were not seated properly the first time or the hole had some flaw. The best way to know whether a spout is in deep enough is sound. Tink, tink, tink, thud - stop.
    2. Trees that are running always also produce gas. These start as very small bubbles, but quickly grow once they get to the tubing.

In either case, the problem with overdriving spouts is that it leads to microleaks at the tree-spout interface. Hitting them again will help temporarily, then they'll begin to leak again, hit them again, etc.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread