+ Reply to Thread

Thread: max length of pan

Default max length of pan

I understand you could theoretically build a pan to any length that you wanted. But is there a point where you are drafting so far that you don't get much benefit? By todays standards, what is a "long" pan (or set of pans)? Once you get to a certain length, would AOF or AUF become any more of a necessity in order to make it boil better?
    Where this is coming from: I saw a stainless steel basin that is about 10' x 26". Looked like it would make an awesome flat pan. I have stainless laying around that I could probably use for dividers to make continuous flow. Just a thoughts.

I made a flat pan 2x4 feet. In the back half I put 3 dividers crossways 8" apart and in the front 3 dividers going lengthwise 6" apart. The drawoff was in the middle of one side. It wasn't reversible but it worked really well with the drawoff being at the back of the firebox. With a longer pan I'd put more dividers in the back (sap) section and the front ones shorter, maybe 2/3 back and 1/3 front. Sketch it out. Sap goes in one back corner of the pan. I could send a pic. I'm a retired welder/fabricator. I picked up several used house radiators for grates, planning to build more rigs but I got too old too fast, lol. I'm in central MA so freight would be a killer unless you're up this way sometime. Email is bearlysaneforty-three(numerals) at yahoodotcom.

+ Reply to Thread