+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: say it's not over.......

Default say it's not over.......

Rookie here. If it gets cold at night this next week like it is supposed to will the sap start to run again? Or is really over?

depends on the trees. If they bud its likely all over. If they don't you may or may not get some good sap.
    For me its over. I pulled my spiles and brought the buckets in today. Everything pulled the last two days was cloudy. I am boiling it now separatly so as not to risk it.
    This year we have seen every grade possible in a short window of time. We have golden, light amber, amber, dark amber, and Well HOLY CRAP that is dark. I think its called B or used to be. It will be perfect for making candy out of though.

for anyone still pulling and or producing. Good luck I wish you all the best luck especially the guys further north.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Woodey24,

I'm not sure where you are at but here in the U.P. it just started to run good the last two days......
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

I am southern, 15 miles from OH border. Some of the trees are quite Budden some not much at all. Today's cook produced a quite darker syrup compared to last weekends. Hope your season goes longer than ours appeared to.

Well for me I pulled taps today so its over . Time to get the racecars ready .it was the shortest season I've ever had but made more than I have evre made .so I guess I'm glad to be sad.

I gathered about 15 gallons yesterday and pulled all of the buckets and spiels. Couple of the buckets were looking a bit cloudy, and some were still clear, but I'm done. Time to finish everything up and clean everything, and store it for next year. Great season for us though, as I'm finishing the syrup today it looks like around 7 gallons finished.
    42.54°N 85.86°W

Fourth season sugaring...........

2014- 3 taps, a couple quarts of finished syrup
    2015- 12 taps, 2 1/2 gallons syrup
    2016 - Put out 24 maple taps, and 3 walnut taps. Collected 240 gallons of sap, and bottled up about 6.5 gallons of maple syrup. About 12oz of walnut syrup.
    2017 - About 4 gallons of the most amazing syrup I've ever had!

We have everything boiled down, last sap pretty dark. About 5 gallons of syrup this year, not bad for our rookie season. We got in the game a bit late this year. Gonna put out more taps next year. Taps are still in but looking at pulling them this weekend. Good luck racing and see ya next year as season prep begins.

Let the buds guide you. If they are out then pull the spouts out. We will have to cap off our soft maple trees for the next freeze and run cycle. Til then the pump runs and the releasers dumps to the tank that has a ground drain line. It can and has cleared up after a three day 60+ temp run this season. So it can again but it is hard to say until you are a few hours into the run.

We are keeping the vac on to keep the lines cleaned out and the tap holes moist.

The long range looks intriguing if we can make it thru this warm spell.

Good Luck!

I'm keeping the fingers crossed that we make it until the next cold snap without any buddy sap. Some of my reds look great, but some look ready to pop. I guess I'll do my best to isolate those if the sap starts to stink. I've only just barely reached 100 gallons of sap this year with 55 taps.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

we got around 175 gallons on nearly 70 taps. First season and we missed the first run. Going to hold out. BreezyHill, will regular taps be ok, if it starts to run again? No vacuum here to keep the lines clear etc... The cold nights keep getting pushed. If the cold nights do come back is moving taps to other trees an option?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast