+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does syrup cloud when frozen?

Default Does syrup cloud when frozen?

I bottled 2.5 gallons last night and put 3 bottles in the freezer figuring it would be sitting around for a while. I had a hydrometer and it was close, but when I pulled it out of the sap it cracked when it hit the air. Figures. So I boiled until it hit 219 and was getting thicker on the spoon, but it is thinner than I anticipated. I think it is about the consistency of store bought maple syrup.

I checked the sap in the freezer today and it looked cream colored and was solid enough not to move in the jar. It melted and became normal looking in an hour.

Did I under-boil or have shelf life concerns?

I sure hate to have to re-boil and rebottle all those pint jars; I was hoping to give away some to friends and want to have a good product.

Good news also I am getting a good run of late season sap today just as the buds are about to pop.

If it froze solid it's probably under density. Maple syrup at density doesn't freeze solid
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

That's what I thought. I'll have to boil down some more....

+ Reply to Thread