+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niter Floating and Settling in Filtered Syrup

Default Niter Floating and Settling in Filtered Syrup

I would love some feedback regarding niter (or sugar sand) in our filtered syrup.

Here are some points regarding our process:

1) we use an outdoor wood burning cinderblock evaporator
    2) we finish boiling inside on the oven
    3) we only use a thermometer; no hydrometer
    4) we get syrup up to 220º and hold it for one minute (heard this from an old-timer) before pulling it off heat and filtering
    5) we filter using a two-filter system; on top is a "pre" filter; underneath that is a thicker "final" filter (called a hobby filter pack)
    6) we filter syrup into a coffee urn (turned off)
    7) we use the spigot on the coffee urn to bottle our syrup

A couple notes:

1) until our last two boils, this system has worked flawlessly; produced clear, beautiful syrup for several years.
    2) our last two boils has resulted in a cloudy finished product; the niter settles, but we'd rather filter that stuff out.

What gives? Any ideas?? Thanks!

lpakiz Guest

How old is the final filter? Might it have degraded over time, or is it relatively new?

Did you ever wring the filter out by twisting it between your hands or even rolling it into a tube shape? It really sounds like a bad filter. Ive read that the only way to wring them out is to flatten them.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I think you guys might be correct in that the filter may be to blame. It's a couple years old is all, but I've been cleaning it incorrectly and probably not well enough. Bought a new filter at the local sugarbush today, gonna reboil and see if that clears it up. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you ever wrung it to get rid of any syrup or water, you ruined it in the first twist. Only squeeze it, never wring it out. Wringing it breaks fibers and then niter gets thru.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

ever heard of using egg of milk to clean syrup?

add a bit of milk or cream or egg. i have tried them all and like the egg the best. bring it back to temp, add it when its boiling real good let it go for a min or so. then filter it the same way when its hot. your syrup will be like a pair of sugar lenses, its amazing how clear it gets. no egg or milk flavor ends up in the syrup. I left the egg in a batch all day this year and after re heating and filtering it was perfect.
    2014- about 20 taps on buckets. 20 gal pot from grampa don't recall how much syrup
    2015- about 50 taps, had an unfortunate burn but made out with 5 gallons
    2016-Decided to try and make a career of sapping. 250 taps some tubing mostly buckets. bought a 2x6 small brothers flue pan. 325 gal storage tank.250 honda big red with trailer sap wagon.
    -building a sugar shack this spring.
    -a fantastically supportive and helpful Jasmine makes it all happen

Quote Originally Posted by jasminesugardaddy View Post
    ever heard of using egg of milk to clean syrup?

add a bit of milk or cream or egg. i have tried them all and like the egg the best. bring it back to temp, add it when its boiling real good let it go for a min or so. then filter it the same way when its hot. your syrup will be like a pair of sugar lenses, its amazing how clear it gets. no egg or milk flavor ends up in the syrup. I left the egg in a batch all day this year and after re heating and filtering it was perfect.
    So bring the syrup up to temp of almost boiling and then crack a egg in it? Let it sit for a minute and then run it though a filter again? Does the egg just absorb all niter, and the egg won't make it though the filter?
    2015 18 taps 3.5 gallons
    2016 24 taps 4.5 gallons
    2017 40 taps 15.25 gallons

If you use egg or milk, you supposedly lose the ability to honestly claim that it is pure maple syrup. But for some reason, not if you use DE.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    If you use egg or milk, you supposedly lose the ability to honestly claim that it is pure maple syrup. But for some reason, not if you use DE.
    I can't speak to this issue, but if you're selling, please know that if you use egg or milk, those are considered top 8 food allergens and could be problematic for those with food allergies to either of those items as the egg/milk proteins could still be in the product even if it doesn't taste as such.

I am not an expert by any means, but I have a child with other food allergies. My understanding is that heat does not remove food proteins. Some folks who have egg or dairy allergies can handle "baked" items as the heat from baking changes the protein structures, but that is not the case for all.

It is also possible, I don't won't claim to know the intricacies for those on the production side, but you might need to identify egg/milk on labels due to the food allergy labeling laws.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Get a new filter. Get a hydrometer. 220° might be the right density, or maybe not. Don't put egg, milk, cream, kitty litter, or anything else in your syrup.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast