+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Giving trees a year off?

Default Giving trees a year off?

Hello all, in my massive 25 tap operation I don't have a lot of options for expansion. In ten years of making syrup, the trees I use have held up pretty well with a total average of 2.5 - 3 gallons of medium amber a year, enough for our needs and a big neighborhood breakfast at the end of the season.
    So a couple of questions for the forum; Is taking a year off beneficial to increased sap flow? This year really has me considering it. Also, as long as I'm drilling white wood, does it matter how many old holes are in the tree? all trees used are 16"-28" in diameter. Thanks.

I don't know that taking a year off will make much difference. I'm sure Dr Tim will chime in if he sees this. If you're worried I'd be sure to follow the latest tapping guidelines for depth and spacing. If you haven't already done so, I'd switch to the smaller diameter tree saver spiles which heal over faster and cause less internal damage.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

I also have a microbush. Yes I typed that with a straight face In the first few years I tapped, I did try to rotate, as much as possible, through my 8 tappable trees (they are all big mature 3-spilers)...First couple of years, I only tapped two trees, then two different trees, and so on. But since 2013 have settled on 6 trees, and now put in my 18 spiles each year in those same 6 trees. I also am somewhat OCD and keep a daily log as to how much sap I get from each tree, each day. That makes it much easier to track flow and anticipate when to brace for a big run.

In terms of the *health* spiles...yes, they leave a smaller hole. But some of my trees are slow to close up holes of any size, from even 4 years ago, while others close up easily within 1-2 years. In those trees, the health spile hole from last year's disastrous experiment are just as slow to close. I watch each tree like a hawk all year round and note how healthy the tree is, is the canopy nice and full, is it showing any sign of infection or weakening, and if anything, the trees I tap with the big ol 7/16ths are in much better health than the trees I DON'T tap!!!!! But, if you can drill holes for those weeny little health spiles just right, so that they actually stay in and don't just fall out of the tree (as they all did last year when I tried them) go for it!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

I feel better now. I have switched to the smaller spiles, in fact, being "thrifty" I couldn't quite bring myself to pay $3.50 a piece for the smaller metal kind, I bought 25 clear pipeline spiles, passed them through the hole in each bucket and nailed them home. To gather the sap, I bring an empty 2 gallon bucket and turn the bucket on the tree to pour into the empty transfer bucket, then into the 45 gal trash can sap hauler. I haven't lost a bucket to wind this season, and we get some big winds here in Underhill. Though I don't know exactly what I get from each tree, I do know the better sap producers, some smaller ones out preform the bigger ones. I'm off to a great start, but the lack of snow to cool the sap and my full time job make me worried this may be one of my shortest seasons yet. Thanks for your comments.

+ Reply to Thread