+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar crystals 62.4 brix boiling

Default Sugar crystals 62.4 brix boiling

There's Very small crystals in syrup while boiling, syrup around 210 degrees with brix at 62.4
    I just finished last of sap and boil finish syrup about 2 gallons syrup. Filter twice.

Never stirred the syrup while boiling.
    Using digital brix scale.
    Any ideas or how to get very small crystals out. Or how this happen

Or I will use the syrup for candy or sugar
    Located in CT, yesterday was last of sap
    Thank you

Seems as though your a bit past syrup at that temp.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    Seems as though your a bit past syrup at that temp.
    My water boiled at 212 + 7.1 H2o boiling temp = syrup
    You can boil syrup at different tempatures depending on when your water boils.
    It will depend on elevation, room tempature, weather and more.
    10th of degree changes brix by .25
    My tempature appears to be correct

It sounds like you're using a refractometer??? If you're using a hydrometer then you are likely over density. Either way, you shouldn't see any crystals at all while boiling. Crystals don't usually form until the syrup cools. What you're seeing is most likely niter (sugar sand) which can still appear even after filtering. What are you using to filter? There are a few things you may be able to improve on.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Happy Thoughts is right..sugar crystals form later, not while boiling. And 62.4 brix at 210 is way past syrup (59). I push it at 61 cuz I like it that way, but I'm flirting with sugar crystals at 61. 62.4 will def form crystals, but not while boiling. Even when making candy at much higher temps, you don't see sugar crystals form while boiling. Don't know what you're seeing unless it's niter.

Quote Originally Posted by happy thoughts View Post
    It sounds like you're using a refractometer??? If you're using a hydrometer then you are likely over density. Either way, you shouldn't see any crystals at all while boiling. Crystals don't usually form until the syrup cools. What you're seeing is most likely niter (sugar sand) which can still appear even after filtering. What are you using to filter? There are a few things you may be able to improve on.
    Yes, using refractometer, (digital)
    I using double gravity cone filter.

Before filter syrup, no crystals brix at 60.5
    After filtering and 62.4 Brix with crystals, barely taste fine crystals
    I stopped boiling before reach at 67. Brix
    Like my syrup thick.

Right now it's covered and left in cool area over night.

I still think this is sugar sand because you should not see crystals at those high temps..

Let's get the density issue straight first.
    Since you're using a refractometer, don't let what was said about hot density at 59 brix confuse you. That's when measuring hot with a hydrometer.

I'm not experienced with a refractometer but still have a few questions for you to consider so we're all on the same page about density.
    Do you regularly calibrate your refractometer with water? Distilled water is best. You want to make sure it's set to zero before you start
    Does it automatically correct for temperature or do you need to adjust it by reading a chart?
    If it autocorrects is it able to do so at the temps you're testing at? The literature that came with it should tell you.
    You need to be sure you're using a calibrated instrument correctly at the appropriate temps or your reading may not be accurate.

On to filtering.
    Did you boil it again after the second filtering? If so, this may be the problem. Once filtered, syrup shouldn't be heated higher than 200*F or more niter may form. More niter may form at even slightly lower temps so many people won't go past 190-195*F. If you go past these temps, the syrup should be refiltered.

The filters are wool, orlon, or paper, or some combination? disposable prefilters inside a wool or orlon cone usually work best.
    If using a reusable wool or orlon filter you need to be careful not to wring or twist it when cleaning it.

Hope something in here helps!
    Last edited by happy thoughts; 03-10-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

1. The meter is a millwaukee digital refractometer , temp range from 32 to 175F with temperature compensation,
    I recalibrate every two other readings.

2. The filtration is thick wool with synthetic disposable cloth filter.

3. The syrup was never below 185 deg/f during boil off and filtration.

4. I only tasted crystals/sugar.
    Sugar is a formation of crystal by nucleation

5. I always boil off the water same temperature for past several years with no problems before.

6. I checked syrup temp and brix three hours after cooled syrup down,
    Temp syrup at 87 deg/f with a 64 brix

I believe the problem is from cold wet filter. pre wash all my filters with boiling water from water left over from RO.
    The filter was still wet and at room temperature around 50 deg/f , when I filtered the second time while sap was around 190 deg/f threw a cold wet filter the syrup and wet filter formed sugar crystals.

I am going to add clean water from RO and re boil and filter threw a dry filter.
    As this should disolve any crystals and filtration

Quote Originally Posted by happy thoughts View Post
    Since you're using a refractometer, don't let what was said about hot density at 59 brix confuse you. That's when measuring hot with a hydrometer.
    I guess I don't understand that. I have never used a refractometer, but shouldn't 211º syrup ready 59 brix no matter what instrument you are using?

I still think it is an over density issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnasin View Post
    Yes, using refractometer, (digital)
    I stopped boiling before reach at 67. Brix
    Like my syrup thick.
    67 brix while the syrup is still boiling seems like you are well on your way to candy.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

With the refractometer you want it to read 67 brix. You are under concentration now and need to boil more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast