+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is maple season over ?

Cold spell again here again in CNY, Frozen sap and taps froze up again, still able to get a couple boils for a total of 1-1/2 gal. 1/2 pint on about 75 gal of sap. Have 35 waiting g to be boiled when it unthaws some. Hoping March is a good month, hard to imagine it being over now, seems like I was just getting going. Got things dialed in and now... think positive hopefully things will change. Best of luck to all

Quote Originally Posted by Klonce View Post
    Thinking about taking taps out of the current trees and tapping other trees.. Good idea?

No. They won't do any better than the ones you have tapped now. Save them for next year and they won't have any unnecessary holes to avoid.

I sure hope the season isn't over. It's barely started here.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

We are in western Kentucky. Today is March 5. I've got about 100 taps. I have only collected 10 gallons from sugar maples in the last 7 days. I believe our season is about over.

My trees are running ok today. I got 25 gallons or so since yesterday. It's going to really warm up next week so I'll probably pull my taps on Monday and boil whatever I get til then and wrap it up.

I collected about 25 gallons of sap last Sunday. Haven't had a drop since because of the cold. I may be able to collect some tomorrow and Monday but after that it is above freezing at night for the next week or so. I don't know how fast trees start to bud when the warm weather hits, but I'm guessing it won't be too long. Hopefully I'm wrong. I was hoping to double my production this year and make it to about 10 gallons of syrup. So far I have less than a 1/2 gallon. It's just a hobby for me and though it is frustrating to put the work in, I feel for those folks that rely on it as part of their income.
    2016 - 64 taps (47 gravity fed to buckets, 17 hanging on a tree)
    2015 - 50 taps (35 gravity fed to buckets, 15 hanging on a tree)
    2014 - 5 taps hanging on a tree
    pair of showshoes and an inner tube and toboggan to haul it to the stove.
    Boiling under a tarp again this year, hoping to build a shack in summer 2016. (Of course that was the plan for 2015 too )

Good freeze last night and the 3/16 lines r all running good checked them all 29 on the vacuum gauges buckets are mostly dry couple had some but 70* for Wednesday this will be it! Im 10 gal under from last year.
    2018 home built 4x40 RO 2017 1000 sap 15gal syrup 4 runs of 3/16 natural vac 1 of 5/16 2016 775gal of sap made 12gal syrup 2015 18.5 gal about 55 taps. Have the best wife! cub cadet volunteer 4x4 sap hauler

Hey Kev.
    Heard you were doing some renovations to your sugar shack. How's the progress going?

Do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tapped 1/30/16 for the first time
    200 taps- all buckets

2017 Expansion
    300 taps- buckets in Columbus
    40 tap on tubes- Mt. Gilead

Using maple syrup to teach Science, Engineering, Technology and Math

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12