+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One more run?

We still have not gotten what I consider a good run... go out and 1-2 buckets are spilling over, and the rest have a little dab in them, and get a total of 15 gallons of sap from 40 taps... We are going to check the buckets again this evening, but I am not expecting much. If they are full, I am afraid some may be spoiled...

I have 40 gallons of sap sitting in the boiler. Going to try to boil it down to near syrup this evening, but I will have to decide if I should finish and bottle it, or wait in hopes of getting more sap... tough call with all the warm weather in the forecast.

I have 24 taps on 12 trees. I tapped them on 2/21, and have gotten about 1 and a half gallons of syrup from two boils. This is my first year doing it all from start to finish!
    My buckets have been slowly filling since Monday, and I'm hoping the sap won't spoil until I can boil again on Saturday.
    Dang that full time job!

Crazy to hear taps are running, especially in southern IN where we are in the mid 70's! Wish I could have run down to my property and collected, but my guess is the sap is spoiling within hours in this heat. Hope you all get a lot from this (possibly) last run!
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

I'm not giving up yet! Looks like we will have 5 nights of freezing temps starting this weekend. I have two silvers that budded out, so I pulled those taps. But I refuse to give up! One more run!

I have been collecting small amounts everyday so far. Hoping to get a descent run this weekend.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    I'm not giving up yet! Looks like we will have 5 nights of freezing temps starting this weekend. I have two silvers that budded out, so I pulled those taps. But I refuse to give up! One more run!
    Now that's the spirit!
    Until it turns into "phase 3" syrup that is.
    Phase #1 tastes good
    Phase #2 tastes bad
    Phase #3 can't sell!
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12