+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One more run?

Default One more run?

Here in southern Indiana (Decatur County) we have not been getting much sap(40 taps on buckets). A total of 5 qts of finished syrup. If the Forecasters are right, we may get one more run later this week, but after that, it shows much to warm...

What do you guys think? Are we done for 2016? or do we have the weather for 1 more shot? We would sure like to get way more syrup made than we have so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Deereman76 View Post
    Here in southern Indiana (Decatur County) we have not been getting much sap(40 taps on buckets). A total of 5 qts of finished syrup. If the Forecasters are right, we may get one more run later this week, but after that, it shows much to warm...

What do you guys think? Are we done for 2016? or do we have the weather for 1 more shot? We would sure like to get way more syrup made than we have so far...
    Unless the forecast changes for next week I will probably pull my taps on Sunday. If there are signs of another cold snap I may leave them in, but the buds and the bugs I'm seeing have me thinking we are at the end.
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

I'm north east of Clarksburg in Franklin county. This is the first season to tap my place. I have made just at a gallon of sap on 25 taps.

We are in southern Decatur, Just south of Westport... Went out last evening to check on the buckets, had about 2 gallons total across 40 buckets.... Going to try to check again tomorrow.

My uncle was cutting a maple out of a fence row Tuesday, and mentioned that he was surprised there was not any sap weeping out of the tree. I wonder if last summer's drought has anything to do with it?

About 4am this morning before work I thought I'd make a check, not expecting much, and had 9 gal of sap on 10 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by PoseyCoMark View Post
    About 4am this morning before work I thought I'd make a check, not expecting much, and had 9 gal of sap on 10 taps.
    I like to hear that! Heading to my property tomorrow evening hoping to have some boiling to do Saturday and Sunday!
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

Great to hear! We checked our buckets Wednesday, and they were empty, but a couple trees were starting to drip... Now I can't wait to get out in the woods to see if we have anything to boil this weekend!

I went down Friday to find my buckets were spoiled, and the 100 or so gallons in my tanks was pretty cloudy, but I boiled it all night to nearup and it seems fine. Collected another 70 gallons yesterday and this morning that I also have to finish off. I didn't get a chance to pull my taps, but left the tanks open to drain our over the coming days since it is going to be so warm. I think that may have been it for the season for me.

I boiled 53 gal on Saturday from a 3 day run. Made a little over 3 quarts. I was thinking of pulling my taps also but with the freeze Sat night I may get another small batch.
    Last edited by Mitchell tapper.; 03-07-2016 at 03:05 AM.
    2014 - 14 taps - cinder block arch - 18x24 flat pan
    2015 - 45 taps on buckets - homemade arch from 250gal oil tank - 28x49 flat pan by Smokey Lake
    2016 - 50 taps - 26 taps on 3/16" tube with a diaphragm pump - 24 taps on buckets

1st year working with Maple. We are in north east indiana. Pulled the majority of our taps yesterday due to time constraints. Wish I had not. Sap was still flowing wonderful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast