+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sap filter question

SapSuckers Guest

we use whole house filters in our line from the feed tank to the evaporator. These are available at any plumbing supply house or hardware store. They usually have 3/4" fittings with an in and out side. Some have replacable filters and some have a screen which can be flushed clean when dirty. Theses are only sediment filters and you will need to filter large sediment first.

Chris

harbormaple Guest

Smile

I have question and was wondering how the pros do it. We filter the sap w/ cheese cloth when we collect. But does everyone filter again before it goes in to the evaporator? and if so whats the best filter to use for that.
    thanks you are all a big help

I also use the whole house filters they work great and filter it down to less than 20 microns depending on the filter. If you use a ultra violet system you need to filter it good before it goes through or else it is not effective.
    Keith

I use a cone shaped sap filter which sets in my collection tank opening, does real well.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We screen it thru window screen as we gather, then pump it thru filter felt that we got at the maple dealers. It was originally a flat filter, until my wife sewed it into a 6" diameter by 36" tube, which we clamp over a 6" plexiglass disk with a pipe fitting threaded into it. Huge capacity, homemade pop on filter. We never see a speck in our holding tank(s)
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

Good mornig Ibby,
    So you sewed a flat filter into a long tube filter and that's how you filter your sap.
    Well great minds think alike I guess, I am using a cone filter (felt) with a prefilter also this year. I wanted to try it out to see what, if anything, would happen.
    Clear sap you say, well we'll see, tomorrow, Sunday anyway!
    Thanks!

Dave
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

when I pump through a small hose I put on a milk sock. They do a good job and are real cheap.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

I made a setup that holds 4 milk filters for my 2" pump, I can do 2,000 gals of sap before I have to change them.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

Pop on "Disc" filters are $4 or so if you look around. MSC

If I could have found pop on filters for $4, Id'a bought some, but our 36" long felt "sock" will filter 750 gallons (our max gather to date) as fast as a 1/3 hp sump pump can push it. I suspect it will filter a lot more, but doubt we'll ever have more than that.

Hey 3% - How are you using the cone & prefilter? Attach it to a hose, or just pouring it thru with a bucket? When we first started with a 2x4 flat pan, I used a modified tomato cage to hold the felt filter right over the pan, then poured the sap in as needed. The steam kept it moist and warm so it would flow fast.
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast