I've ordered a 2x5 continuous flow flat pan ($850) with float box ($250) pan comes with 1" draw off with ball valve included and does not come with thermometer but has 1/4 npt fitting welded in. I also ordered a stainless steel 28 gauge cover for the pan to cover it when not boiling. It also comes with a warming pan like the half pints. I have tried warming pans in the past and have not had good luck with them so I figured I would use the warming pan for filtering and canning. I do small batchs so I really don't have to worry about using a heated filter canner because the syrup is right off the evaporator filtered then into cans or bottles right away. Usually stays about 190-195.
I've had regular contact with Patrick through text and he always answered my questions right away. I did as much searching on this site and sugarbush.info as I could and what ever picture or post that I could read I read it. After reading everything I fully understood that I would wait forever for him to deliver it and not be able to get a hold of him for long periods of time. I accepted that as long as I got what I ordered in time for this years season. Could care less if I got it the first day I boiled. As long as it was in my shack.
I was just wondering what in terms of quality of materials and workmanship I can expect from Patrick. In all my post reading I have never heard a bad thing about any of his pans or welds or float boxes being nothing but great quality. He has been at it a while and judging by the posts on this site and others he has pans and evaporators in sugar shacks from Quebec all the way to Ohio. So that tells you something right there.
I flirted with the idea of just biting the bullet and getting a smoky lake pan. There is way more info and pictures out there of their products. But I did the good Canadian thing and supported a Canadian company and a big name in the maple syrup business. Also the Canadian dollar is very weak so that was a big factor. Did I do the right thing? I hope so
I will post my full experience in a separate post when my dealings are complete with Patrick. ( so far my experience has been great) I would just like to hear how you guys out there with Phaneuf pans and evaporators like your experience and how the quality matched up to other manufactures out there.
This is my first real plunge into spending big money on equipment and after always standing in front of the evaporators and pans in the showrooms at the dealers I'm finally gonna have one of my own. Even if it is just a 2x5 flat pan. It's a massive upgrade to my little operation and will hopefully last me a lifetime or be passed on to others when or if I upgrade to bigger.
Thanks and look forward to the replies.