+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Central Wisconsin 2016

Its been a good year so far. We have a new Airtech Vacuum pump that works awesome. We have bee sitting right around 28" the entire season. We have somewhere around 580 taps in and have made 225 gallons. We installed 6 sap ladders throughout our woods and I was very skeptical about them but now I can say that they work. Looks to be at least another good week or two. good luck and keep boiling.
    2017:
    600 taps on vacuum
    4 x 8 flat pan
    2 x 4 finish pan
    Nights and weekends after my real job

Default 2016 Complete

Officially done boiling for the year. 380 gallons of syrup made on 580+- taps. Learned a lot this year about vacuum. We were able to stay between 27.5" and 28.5" at the releaser all year which I hear is outstanding. Sap ladders work really well for those of us flat landers. Our largest sap ladder has somewhere around 350 taps going through it. If you don't know what they are and are thinking of running tubing but say you cant because you are to flat go to youtube and watch some videos cause they really work. Also I had some skeptics in years past but We have a CDL hobby RO (200 gallons per hour) and flat pans and only cook nights and weekends and we made 380 gallons. It can be done you just have to have lots of wood. It was a long but good season.
    2017:
    600 taps on vacuum
    4 x 8 flat pan
    2 x 4 finish pan

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Officially done boiling for the year. 380 gallons of syrup made on 580+- taps. Learned a lot this year about vacuum. We were able to stay between 27.5" and 28.5" at the releaser all year which I hear is outstanding. Sap ladders work really well for those of us flat landers. Our largest sap ladder has somewhere around 350 taps going through it. If you don't know what they are and are thinking of running tubing but say you cant because you are to flat go to youtube and watch some videos cause they really work. Also I had some skeptics in years past but We have a CDL hobby RO (200 gallons per hour) and flat pans and only cook nights and weekends and we made 380 gallons. It can be done you just have to have lots of wood. It was a long but good season.
    This will be my first year with ladders - can you offer advice on how many 5/16 riser lines you used versus number of taps? Thanks - Paul

We stuck to a maximum of 50 taps per star fitting. We did make sure that we had the smallest of a leak at the first tap after the ladder to get the sap to move. Our woods for whatever reason is extremely tight so if you have natural leaks you probably wouldn't have to create a leak.
    2017:
    600 taps on vacuum
    4 x 8 flat pan
    2 x 4 finish pan

Thumbs up What am I doing wrong?

Hey everyone I just got a question how people are getting .5 a gallon of sap per tree per day. Is that running tubes? I'm in the Green Bay Area and I tapped 4 trees 4 days ago and I'm lucky if I've gotten even half a gallon of sap out of all 4 trees total! It's only my second year and the trees have been tapped only one other time. ( Last year). I'm using 7/16 aluminum taps with bags. Any help or ideas on why this is happening would be greatly appreciated. I've got many other trees to tap but I'm wondering if I should wait maybe on those, hoping things might loosen up with this heat wave? Thanks Again!!

When they really let loose, you should get 2-3 gallons per tap per day. Its way early and I wouldn't put any more out until after this heat wave if your using open taps. Your trees are just waking up.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12