+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Wisconsin 2016

Default Central Wisconsin 2016

Tapped yesterday, running really good. I was pleasantly surprised to find half full bags this morning. Now with the high for today and tomorrow at 30 deg sap flow has shut down again. Looks to be a big run this weekend with a high of 47 on Saturday!
    2011-2012 / 5 taps / Turkey fryer = 1/2 gal syrup per year
    2013 / 5 taps / Turkey fryer with home made shroud = 1.25 gal
    2014 / 10 taps / Block arch = 2.25 gal (Made enough syrup to almost last the year)
    2015 / 12 taps / Block arch with improvements = 2.5 gal
    2016 / 14 taps / Block arch = 2.5 gal
    2017 / 12 taps / Block arch = 2.5 gal
    2018 / 12 taps / Block arch with more copper tubing around
    stack. (Trying to eliminate stove preheating)

Default Merrill area

I did my 120+ taps into 5 gallon buckets Saturday afternoon. Some were dripping right away, some dry. Nothing to get excited about which is fine by me. I'm hoping to cook 2 weekends from now. Dunno if I'll get away with it, but rather than collecting and holding in tanks I'm going to try holding in the buckets and hopefully cook 2 weekends 2 weeks apart. Never seems to work out that way, but nice to dream.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

I installed 82 taps on Saturday, Feb 27 and had about 50 gals by the end of the day Sunday. Based on last year I was not expecting that as the sap didn't start running until the middle of March in western Waupaca county. Of course I don't have much experience as this is only my second year.

Slow but steady, Thursday nights freeze had things going decent Friday into Saturday. Ended up with about 180 gallons from 60 trees/120 taps on a 2 week soak. Most of the run came Friday. Pre-brix showed 2.8-2.9. Nice and clear very little sugar sand/sludge in the pan and a bit over 6 gallons semi finished I've been finishing deeper these days so I expect 6 gallons plus finished.

They were still running Saturday but not very fast. Should freeze up again Wednesday night. We'll see what happens from there. Weather man tends to dangle nice ideal conditions then ratchets the overnight lows upwards as the days get closer.
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly

Tapped 25 northeast of Rosholt Saturday morning. We picked up 22 gallons Sunday, but pretty dry since then. 2.1 on the sugar. Waiting for some colder temps to get things moving again.

image.jpg
    Last edited by PloverTown; 03-14-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Everything shut down from 3/13 until today. Finally picked up 16 gallons on our 25 trees. Should roll pretty well over the next week looking at the forecast.

Filled a 400 gallon bulk tank with clear sap after 4 PM today 240 taps on vac. Didn't touch the 200 bags and buckets. Saddle up, here it comes.
    Treemonkey
    2014 180 taps Half on vac
    2015 330 taps 230 on vac
    2X6 wi Smokey Lake pans
    Home made RO one 4" membrane
    Arch wi AOF, AUF, and heat recovery.

Another quick 6 gallons from about 180 gallons sap. With all the rain I did take on a little rain water so the sap had a bit of a yellow tinge, but it seems to be plenty fine. Now I'm getting nervous about the buds. Hoping to hold things together for one more week and hopefully a 12 gallon run to close off the season. The way things have been going and the way the weather looks we'll probably see a 2 day drip Monday through Tuesday then who knows what with the snow and cold coming Wed/Thurs. Looks like Friday might go again.

Surprising how little residue there is left in the pan when we empty this year.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-21-2016 at 09:31 AM.

We had a good freeze Saturday night trees were slow getting going Sunday. Brother collected 140 gallons or so Monday. Neighbor collected another 70 gallons Tuesday so everything is in good shape for the snow. Looks like they may run a bit today (Wed) and then mostly dormant Thurs. Friday through the night into Saturday looks to be a good run which will be our final cook provided the rain stays away.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-23-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Rolled good until a bit of a breather today. Collecting a lot of gallons, but the sugar is running on the low side. 1.8 and 1.9 in the last two days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast