+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interview

Hybrid View

Default Interview

Hey guys I got a phone call this morning from Fox 22 news Bangor and they asked to come down and do a interview. A couple of good guys and stayed for over an hour, so I figured I would throw it out there if anybody wants to see it. I hope it come out good lol. I hate doing those things! It will be on there Web site as well.
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

If you find the link, please post it here.
    I don't really know how to find your local news web site.
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

We have been looking for.it as well. They may not have posted it on there yet. We looked on fox 22 bangor and channel 7 website but we can't find it. If and when I do I will post the link on here.
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

I heard them talking about it, but didn't see it. I think it ran last night.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Be prepared for a crowd. I had newspaper coverage one year by the big paper in Syracuse, NY. The first article interviewed 5 or 6 producers. That ran on a Thursday, the following Thursday the ran my operation as a single article, it was only about 8 column inches. Then the following Sunday in their magazine section I was the feature article, full front page and a total of about 3 pages. Then we had our Maple Weekend the following 2 weekends. My little sugarhouse that has room for about 15-20 people at a time was full the whole time, all 4 days from 10 AM til about 5PM (it officially was over at 4pm), and I had lines of 30-40 waiting all day to get their turn. I sold out early on Sunday each weekend and by early to mid afternoon I was bottling to order. I then took orders and filled them at a latter date. In those 4 days I had over 1500 guests, which would have been OK if I had more room. I only have a 16x24 sugarhouse and only had at the time, parking for about 20 cars. My sugarhouse sets 400' off the road and after the cars filled my parking area and both sides of the driveway coming in, I had created a traffic jam as cars lined both sides of the county road for quite a ways.
    Now that they know who and where you are, be ready for the traffic.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have been open to the public since 2009. I have done alot of interviews with the local TV stations, newspapers and even a couple of radio interviews. I'm not worried about the crowds, in fact that's what I am going after. On maine maple sunday I get anywhere between 450 and 700 people though my place in a 6hr. time frame. This was started as a side business for me and has done pretty well for itself over the years. It has become a self sufficient business that pays for its own equipment and supplies and all I want it to do is grow. So in order for me to achieve that goal is to step out of my comfort zone and take the opportunity of free advertising. This year maine maple sunday is on Easter Sunday and I am afraid that the attendance will be down so I am just trying to plant the seed early and maybe get people out to support not only me but the sugar makers in my surrounding area.
    Last edited by boondocker; 02-25-2016 at 07:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread