+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2x6 pan with a cold forecast question

Hybrid View

Default 2x6 pan with a cold forecast question

We have a 2x6 pan with drop flues in the back. We tapped and boiled this weekend and it looks like a day or two this week. However then they are talking of several cold days with single digit nights. How would you leave your pan? Drain it completing? Let the sugar equalize to lower freezing point? Place space heater in the fire box at night to keep thawed? Thanks for any input.

In similar situation in past, I've put something over the pan and a couple of worklights in firebox with 100 watt bulbs...kept pans safe despite a skim of ice on top....or you could find something to pump it out into storage and not worry.
    2012 - True and Blanchard 2X4 dropflue
    - 100+- taps on gravity
    - pallet and plywood shack
    - 2 enthusiastic kids, 1 tolerant wife who deosn't (gasp!) like maple
    - 1 old lab that would rather be in the woods than on the porch

2013 - Re-doing the lines, working on arch efficiency
    - adding steam stack to air out the maple sauna
    - High, high hopes.....

As long as your sap has been boiled and concentrated down some, you will be fine. The sap may get slushy but it won't freeze hard enough to damage the flues.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I've done the 100 watt bulb trick but I think as BAP said, if it's semi-concentrated, it will be slushy but not frozen solid.

To give an example, last weekend when it was -17° I had to get some syrup packed but it was in 5 gallon containers that were in my sugarhouse. I brought them inside and let them warm up for 4 or 5 hours but they were still caked with ice. I poured them into my canning unit and measured the temperature. The syrup was 23° but it was still a liquid.

One of the problems I've had though is my feed tank and feed line. One really cold morning I could fire up the evaporator but I couldn't get sap out of my feed tank because my 1" line had frozen. I think I wound up taking all the piping apart, removing the frozen sap, including in the fitting connecting the pipe to my tank. I think sap gushed out and I had to hurry to get the pipe back on.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Right. High enough sugar and it shouldn't be a big deal. I close the valve at the feed tank and drain the line into the float box during shut down to avoid it freezing up. I had to use a hair dryer the last time it froze up.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

Quote Originally Posted by billyinvt View Post
    Right. High enough sugar and it shouldn't be a big deal. I close the valve at the feed tank and drain the line into the float box during shut down to avoid it freezing up. I had to use a hair dryer the last time it froze up.
    So the $3000 question is how much sugar do you need? Good color that is about ready to pull and allow it to equalize!

I have never worried about it with my raised flue and last season it sat frozen for 3 weeks with temps well below zero on several of those nights. I have never had any damage because of it. I have heard of drop flue pans being damaged because of freeze ups though so you might want to drain it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

In my early years I worried and sometimes lit a small fire. Then after reading all those who don't do anything special, I started just leaving it. I do close the head tank valve (butterfly valve) and drain the feed line. then it just sets. lots of slush will form on top but nothing will freeze solid. I have gotten ice on the cold sap box, but I remove the float and no damage is done.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

i put a 60 watt cfl in my drop flue arch and closed the fire box doors. I put another bulb next to the heading tank fittings with a towel over it.

I put a very small electric heater in firebox and from pans down so the crossover tube and draw off tube are half full. What I dran off, I put in a bucket and set it in flue pan and freezing isn't a issue.
    2014 16' x 24' sugarhouse, 2' x 6' Leader WSE converted to forced air with airtight front and Leader Revolution and Leader Max Flu Combo pans. Just tap a few yard trees for demonstration and buy my sap from a 400+ tap tubing operation.

Stihl MS440, MS391, MS261, MS170, MS193T
    Stihl BT45 for tapping
    New Holland Boomer 50 4x4 with loader
    Cub Cadet 6x4 Big Country
    Honda 4x4 Rancher
    Very supportive and lovely wife
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wakem...3099580?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast