+ Reply to Thread

Thread: using mixer for making cream

Default using mixer for making cream

my ife and i would like to try makin our first batch of maple cream would we be able to use her kitchen aide mixer for mixing it ?Thanks

I've done it with good results. I found that it takes 30-45 minutes to get it to the right consistency. My last batch was the best I made, but I could still just barely perceive some crystals on my tongue. It tastes great but not that perfect silky smooth texture I want. Other than that, the mixer will work for you. Let us know how you make out.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

will do Urban ,Thanks

Proceed with caution! I burnt up a Kitchen Aide mixer making cream. When the syrup was still in the taffy stage I put the mixer at too high of a speed and let the smoke out.

Urban Sugarmaker, the cooler the syrup is before you start mixing the smoother the cream will be. Cool it to room temperature before stirring but don't refrigerate it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I should have added that I don't do any larger than a 1 quart batch and my mixer is the heavy duty one. A smaller batch is better if your mixer has a smaller motor.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

ok Thanks Russell,we will keep eye on it ,
    really excited bout trying to make the maple cream .

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Urban Sugarmaker, the cooler the syrup is before you start mixing the smoother the cream will be. Cool it to room temperature before stirring but don't refrigerate it.
    Am I understanding that maple cream is whipped, to the right consistency, maple syrup? In other words, is it taken to a higher Brix? Are maple cream and maple butter the same thing? We were getting maple butter at our local farmer's market last summer. If we have enough sap this year, with our additional taps, we'd love to try and make some.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Am I understanding that maple cream is whipped, to the right consistency, maple syrup? In other words, is it taken to a higher Brix? Are maple cream and maple butter the same thing? We were getting maple butter at our local farmer's market last summer. If we have enough sap this year, with our additional taps, we'd love to try and make some.
    I boil the syrup to 234* and then let it cool in an ice bath to about 70* before stirring. It is stirred, not whipped so use the mixer on the lowest speed or stir it by hand. Some people call maple cream maple butter but for me it is a 50/50 mix of real butter and maple cream mixed together. If it comes out right it is a real treat.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thanks. We'll have to try it this year, if we get another few finished bottles. Last summer, next to our homemade gold, it became a house favorite. I appreciate the tip.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread