+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Bit & power drill

Thank you, I do have the canadian bit that I ordered from bascoms this year and it looks exactly like what I always assumed was a canadian bit bought in 2014, again from bascoms. Interesting about the torquing. My drill is a 20V. I tap about chest high. Will last years shavings flush out of my tubing or do I need to dig them out by hand?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

All this talk about bits, the do's and dont's, who has the best bits.....I decided to do some research. I work in a tool shop. Here is a bit I made up yesterday. It's a parabolic flute high end aircraft bit. I threw it on the tool and cutter grinder and put a "split point 90 degree angle tapping point" on it. I have used everything in my life from a hand drill to an 9.6V, to a 12V, to an 18V drill. I'm going to try the bit out and see the variation in results, speed at which it cuts, torque required, cleanliness of the hole, and measure the hole with calipers to see how round the hole stays after drilling. Be interesting the see the results as compared to other bits we have used in the past........more to follow

FYI this bit was about $7.48
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Did some experimenting tonight. Tapped 10 holes using three different types of bits. A wood bit that I have used in years past a standard 118 degree point HSS bit off the shelf from hardware store and a "tapping bit" all three cut well. The wood bit is a bit coarse and has a tear style wood chip. The jobber and tapping bit had similar results. The white clean wood chips looked identical. The difference being the drill point. The tapping bit has a 90 degree point and penetrated the tree easier than the others. All drilling was done with a Milwaukee 18V cordless which appears to be a work horse.

The drilling was the same in all three cases feeding straight in for 1 1/2" and a quick reverse removing the drill in a single stroke. All the holes measured identical with I'd calipers. Holes were round within. 007-.009

Just thought I would share this with you
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    All this talk about bits, the do's and dont's, who has the best bits.....I decided to do some research. I work in a tool shop. Here is a bit I made up yesterday.
    Let us know how that works out for you. I'll listen to anyone who can make his own drill bits
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Let us know how that works out for you. I'll listen to anyone who can make his own drill bits
    it worked well....very well I'm only altering the drill point not making the bit per say...... but I can't say that a simulated "tapping bit" performed better than a HSS off the shelf bit. There is a slight difference in the internal geometry inside the tree. The tapping bit has a cutting point where a standard drill bit has a blunt point. But we are talking in thousandth's in either case which probably really doesn't matter to the tree

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12