+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Shurflo Pump Question

Default Shurflo Pump Question

I use Three shurflo pumps each on a different lines, two are 3/4 and one is1 inch mainline. the one i have a question about is 3/4 mainland it's 500ft long with 55 cv taps with all laterals of 100 ft or less. My gauge at the end shows 15 inches of vacuum but watching all three pump together this one seem on start up to move sap just find and then after a while I don't see it pushing sap or bubbles out the discharge line like the other two pumps. When i Slighty crack the union you can really hear the sucking sound and then the sap move out the discharge line like normal. Thanks for reading all this and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

WV Sugarshak

I hope I understand your issue.

"Slightly Crack" the union,,,,,Do you mean allow air into the system?

Is it possible that the 3/4" line in question just doesn't have enough sap in it to pump out ?

My Shurflow acts funny when the trees are just not giving it up, poor sap day like.

Hope that helps.

Terry
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

yes when i let air in it sucks sap rite through. I do have a screen and i have checked it is fine no restriction there. but compared to my other two it is like it is air locked. I know there needs to be room in the line for the gas to travel like a wet dry system. but since the 3/4 mainline is only full down were it connects to the pump. there should be room for the gas to travel above the sap.

Thanks

WV Sugarshak

If i get a chance will try to post a video of what going on.

Sounds like the system is tight but the trees and not giving anything. The pump will only pump until the vacuum on the suction side equals the ability of the pump. If it was surging back and forth I would say one of the checks was not seating but it sounds like everything is good.

Sugar shark, how is the pump running now? I have a similar situation but think the trees aren't giving it up just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having some issues as well with my shurflo system..I can't get my gauges to register any vaccum but when I take fittings apart, you can hear it sucking and feel the vaccum when you put ur finger over the line..seems like the pump only surges once there is enough head behind it..is this adjustable??any thoughts?
    http://Www.patryssugarhouse.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PatrysSugarhouse

2x6 WSE Arch- Custom AOF/AUF with Smoky Lake HO SSR Drop Flue Pan Set
    Smoky Lake Flat Filter Finisher
    Leader Single Cone Canner
    300ish taps for 2016

Silly question, but are you sure you have vacuum gauges and not pressure gauges? Last time I was at Bascom's I picked up pressure gauges instead of vacuum gauges not really paying attention. Luckily the guy at the counter questioned me when I put them on the counter, and told me I had mistakenly grabbed 2 pressure gauges. I should have paid closer attention to what I was picking up off the shelf.

The only other time that my vacuum gauges did not register anything is when I has an ice blockage in my main line near the pump. When my sureflo pump is dry the gauges register between 10-15" Hg. When the sap is running the gauges are 20-25 Hg.

This is my first season with gauges so I have been watching them a lot. Today I got my highest readings with the sap flowing. 27" at the pump and 23.5" at my furthest tap. Hope this helpsa and I hope you have vac. gauges!!!

Bill C.

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    I'm having some issues as well with my shurflo system..I can't get my gauges to register any vaccum but when I take fittings apart, you can hear it sucking and feel the vaccum when you put ur finger over the line..seems like the pump only surges once there is enough head behind it..is this adjustable??any thoughts?
    2016-2018, 50 taps on hobby vacuum, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    49 taps 2015, mix of hobby vacuum and gravity, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    42+4 taps 2014, still on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    43 taps 2013 on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    10 taps 2012

Follow along on our sugaring adventures at our website:
    http://littlecreekmaplefarm.com

A couple photos of my gauges from today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016-2018, 50 taps on hobby vacuum, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    49 taps 2015, mix of hobby vacuum and gravity, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    42+4 taps 2014, still on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    43 taps 2013 on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    10 taps 2012

Follow along on our sugaring adventures at our website:
    http://littlecreekmaplefarm.com

Thanks for the quick reply! They are vac gauges..I can get 15" on them using my mouth!!checked that they worked right when I got them...I have the shurflo in line on a 3/4" mainline..could it be a back pressure issue?not enough back pressure on the discharge end?
    http://Www.patryssugarhouse.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PatrysSugarhouse

2x6 WSE Arch- Custom AOF/AUF with Smoky Lake HO SSR Drop Flue Pan Set
    Smoky Lake Flat Filter Finisher
    Leader Single Cone Canner
    300ish taps for 2016

I don't think it has anything to do with the discharge end.
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast