+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Syrup

Question Cloudy Syrup

I need some help please. I have good light amber color to my syrup but it is a little bit cloudy. It isnt real bad but i can tell it is there.Any help or suggestions.
    Thanks to all replies
    Rich

Default cloudy

If You Use An Ro A Paper Probably Riped. If A Cone Filter You Might Not Be Using Enough At One Time
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

If the syrup was past 200 after you filtered it, it may have released some more nitre and thus the cloudiness. It will settle out in a few days. Try not to go above 195 when bottling it after filtering.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Default Whats Nitre? (Niter?)

Is it the cloudy slightly grainy stuff in the syrup I make?

In years past I generally ignore that cloudy stuff, but then again If there is an easy way to remove why not!

So - I'm not sure I understand the previously mentioned method of removal... Generally I boil in my Grimm 2x6 till I have a concentrate, then remove in a large pot for finishing in my kitchen... I have a digital thermomenter that beeps when it hits 216, then I'm done!

So - I guess I'm lost when you mention the 195 degree statement... If I'm already at 216 are you saying let it cool to 195 then filter to remove the nitre?

I use a coffee filter inside a wiremesh coffee filter... Not sure of the microns removed here...

Sorry for the long post... I'm really new at this and would love to be able to make a better product even its for personal use!

Sap sipper,
    Sounds like you are a smaller producer that just makes for yourself and maybe to give some away. First I don't think that on the average day 216 deg is hot enough to fet to syrup stage. syrup stage is at about 7 deg above the boiling point of water. Water ussually boils at about 212 but varies due to atmospheric pressure, so 219 would be closer for syrup.
    Yes niter is the gritty stuff in your syrup. Someone you size has a couple of choices for filtering it out. First you could just let is set for a couple weeks and most of it will settle to the bottom, or you could go to you local maple dealer and get some cone type filters. Cone filters come in two parts the main part is ussually wool or cloth, the second is paper. You put the paper filter in side the cloth filter and put the syrup through it as hot as possible. Keep in mind though that the niter won't harm you but it could over time give off and off or stonger flavor that may not be desirable.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

sipper, if you are drawing off of your evaporator before it tests as syrup then you will still need to bring it to 7 degrees over the boiling point of water for it to be syrup. Then I would think it should be filtered again and canned at a temp of approx 190 degrees. If it is brought back to boiling it can cause more niter to reform. Not sure if you are using a hydrometer, but if not I recommend it as it is the most accurate way to check for syrup and proper density.

Some people like to make syrup on their evaporator and then hot filter as they draw off the evaporator and others with smaller rigs will get it within a degree or so and then draw and finish off in a smaller pan. Either way to remove the most niter the syrup should be 7 degrees above water boiling temp and proper density when it is filtered and canned at approx 190 degrees
    NEIL

18x66 LAPIERRE EVAPORATOR, 120 TAPS GIVE OR TAKE
    10x20 SUGAR SHACK

Default Thanks guys

You bet - small beginner here. I'm finding it really hard to control the burn etc... on my 2x6 pan, so I just do it in the house...

Thank you guys for the advice... I'll filter once boiled, let cool to 190 then bottle.

Tx again...

It is best to run it thru the filters as hot as possible, but what I was referring to was not to reheat it past 190 to 195 after filtering. If you filter it when it is at the correct density, then this won't be a problem.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Quote Originally Posted by SapSipper View Post
    You bet - small beginner here. I'm finding it really hard to control the burn etc... on my 2x6 pan, so I just do it in the house...

Thank you guys for the advice... I'll filter once boiled, let cool to 190 then bottle.

Tx again...
    When I first started I always finished on a propane burner outside. I would bring the sap to 214 and them transfer to propane.
    Homemade 46 by 26 wood boiler with two polished stainless pans
    Home made sugar shack with Caputo Rooftop
    15 gallon pre-heater tank with a circulating copper pipe stack heater.
    two 45 gallon storage tanks with transfer pumps
    150 taps (buckets)
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    Two big reds with bucket holders to collect the sap

Good wife to assist me

Getting sweeter one drop at a time.

Default Filtering issues

I am a hobbiest with about 5 years practice. I have fluctated from 30 taps to 144 now at 90 this year. No reitred yet. Anyhow my filtering is quite off this season. My process is to pour off from my 2'X4' evaporator into my finish pot, through (2) doubled up white cotton t-shirts. After that I finish on propane to 59-60 brix. I then filter through (2) pre-filter bags inside of an Orlon filter. I used this method for the past three seasons with relatively good results but this season I have cloudy finished syrup with a lot of nitre sediment. Am I missing something?
    I also made a vacuum system similar to one I saw on Roth Sugar Bush's website with similar results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast