+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing sap

Default Storing sap

Newbie here, collecting sap for the first time. I've read that you should only store sap in your refrigerator for about a week. Can anybody confirm or deny? I started collecting late last week and have about 2 gallons. Was hoping to boil all my sap down at the same time, so ideally I'd like to store my sap for three weeks or so I guess? Can it keep in the refrigerator that long? Should I freeze it? Should I boil it down soon to make a batch of syrup and then make another batch later in early spring? Thoughts or suggestions?

Like milk. A few days at fridge temps. Beyond that, freeze it.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Okay, and I'll be able to freeze it and use it all at the same time once the sap stops flowing?

I'd boil as you go and then refrigerate the "near syrup" because that will be sterilized and will keep better, then finish it all at once. I think you'll be surprised how slowly it boils if you have not done that yet.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

So boil what I collect every couple days? If I do it that way, boiling it down...how far do I need to boil it to where it will keep in the refrigerator until I get to where I'm ready to make syrup? I.e. If I have a gallon, I should boil that down to ____ oz and that will keep ______ days/weeks/months. Thanks for your help/advice

Hard to answer your question. But....

If I had a gallon or two per day and wanted to boil it all at once for syrup, I would do this.

First, keep in mind 40:1 roughly is what your dealing with, and its temperament is milk.

Tedious, but boil your 1-2 gallons every few days till it is much less that what you started with,,,,,,40-1 keep in mind.

Freeze what is left over after every boil.

Keeping the 40:1 ratio in mind, you will know if you need to re-boil what is frozen. No need to keep freezing 15 gallons of near syrup if you only collected 100 gallons of sap.

Hope that helps.

Terry
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

What are you using to boil on and in? And how often could you boil if you had to? Knowing how much sap you're going to be able to handle at one time may help us give you better answers.

Fresh sap won't keep in the fridge for 3 weeks. Even a week is stretching it. Freezing it is best and you can boil sap to decrease its volume, freeze it at any concentration, and then mix all your frozen batches together later for a final boil into syrup.
    Last edited by happy thoughts; 02-18-2016 at 12:15 AM.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by justainmurphy View Post
    Newbie here, collecting sap for the first time. ....
    I started collecting late last week and have about 2 gallons. Was hoping to boil all my sap down at the same time, so ideally I'd like to store my sap for three weeks or so I guess?
    Justain

You need to put your question into context.
    • How many trees are you tapping?
    • What are you planning to boil on?

2 gallons of sap is not much - it will boil down to 6oz of syrup. Even the smallest pot on your stove cannot take 6oz to syrup.
    You would typically expect to have boiled off about 10 gallons of sap before you get to the point where you are finishing off a batch of syrup, even boiling on a very small scale.

However, as pointed out by others, you can partially boil your sap prior to freezing, and that reduces the volume you have to store.

Tell us more about your boiling plans, and we'll give you more specific advice.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Boil it the day you gather it and have fun as you go. 2 gallons is not much sap. boil it down till you have a quart remaining. let it set till the next run add sap and boil it down again. 5 runs and you should have a quart of finished syrup.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Yea , its tough to store sap long down here unless its in a fridge , even then the space is limited. I try to do 10 gallons at a time or less if the flow is slow and I've had it stored a while. I boil mine down to concentrate then can (mason jars) it hot so it seals. Then I try to do big finish boils. Big for me is a few quarts! I will confirm this , the older the sap is the darker it will be when boiled down if not frozen when clear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast