+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing sap

What type of container should I freeze "almost syrup" in? I'm afraid to use glass, because I don't want it to crack in the freezer.

How about a gallon ziplock?
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Genius! Thanks!

If you freeze it as you collect it, once it is partly frozen, drain off the liquid .BUT KEEP THE LIQUID. Toss the ice. Poor mans RO. You just concentrated your sap and have not even boiled it yet.Do this with each collection and wait until you have enough of the concentrate to boil off. Most of all have fun.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

I am small time, too, and batch boil. For me, the effort involved to boil down 1-2 gals at a time, using an evaporator, doesn't make it feasible. My first year, I boiled everything at once... we had a lot of snow that year, so I stored in food grade 5 gal buckets in a snow bank. I did keep an eye on those containers, to ensure safe temps. Subsequent years, I've still batch boiled, but typically with 20 gals at a time -- less time involved on the day of boil, but not extra days of concern waiting for my fire to die down outside.

In some of my years, I have needed to freeze inside, and I have chosen to use food safe rubbermade storage containers. The shallower version I have holds 1.5 gal, the deeper 2.5. They fit well in my freezer, are easy to deal handle. I got mine as a 3 piece set at Costco, and I know there are places to get them cheaper than this link. I just included it to show what I meant. I have a friend who freezer in milk jugs.
    (https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-7J...%2C153&sr=8-19)

One word of "warning" if you freeze, take into account defrost time (just like a turkey!) so that when you are ready to boil, you are not putting frozen blocks into your evaporator, but also, if you have them in a container, to be sure you can get the sap out.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

FYI I used gallon size freezer Ziplock bags last year to freeze sap and even though I double bagged them most of the bags leaked while thawing. I had placed the frozen bags in large bowls to thaw so fortunately I didn't have sap everywhere. I would not use bags again. I like the low Rubbermaid contains mentioned above... not too tall so they would fit easily in most freezers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLikeSyrupNH View Post
    How about a gallon ziplock?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12