+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Management Of Poison Ivy Around Trees?

Wow, that sounds like strong stuff! I will try to find it for sure around here. Thank you!

I LOVE goats, but my husband won't let me have them, LOL!

Thanks for your research! Very much appreciate it

I will keep an eye out for those brands, thanks very much!

how heavy of an application? my wife and I tried and tried to kill weeds with it. so far it just stunts them a little.
    For the record I would love to use it instead. most weeds we do not bother worrying to much about. the ones in the brick walk and the poison ivy are fair game though

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_R View Post
    I LOVE goats, but my husband won't let me have them, LOL!
    You should thank him for this.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Sarah there's a few things that can be done as suggested get a grazer, a Sheep, Goat, Cow, Llama that will munch it down like candy. If not then I'd really not fret about the PI as it's winter and it's buried under the snow, and it would be a minor inconvenience come spring. Once it's exposed just wear high rubber boots, rinse them off before touching them with the bare hands. If you touch the bare skin take an alcohol wipe and clean the spot. In the summer take Jewel Weed (natures remedy) and it takes the effects of the PI away. It's also great for most other bug bites, as Deer flies, mosquitos, and other blood sucking insects, takes away the swelling and itch in minutes.https://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

Tordon is picloram, and most of the formulations are RUP (restricted use pesticide), meaning you need a pesticide application license. Picloram has a high probability of moving into groundwater.

I would ask myself a question: Maple Syrup is one of natures purest treats, organic one could say, why would I want to be spraying nasty chemicals around the tree? The tree might just suck it up and pass it along to the sap, it might not that's another whole topic. But seriously think about what the end result by using a chemical treatment.

WARNING: DO NOT BURN POISON IVY, THE SMOKE WILL MESS YOUR LUNGS UP BAD. It's like having the blisters on the inside and not a good thing.

Spraying salt water works good for me.

I pull it out by the roots sometimes a run can go 20-40 feet from the root. It never has bothered me guess I'm lucky my wife just has to look at it and she starts itching This is a good time to pull and remove it.
    Tap'em if ya got'em.

We just moved back home my family farm, 54 acres and 53 of it has poison ivy. Our land is half pasture/hay and half timber, luckily a lot of sugar, red and silver maples! The poison ivy has vines as thick as my arm growing up the tulip poplars and some of the silver maples along the creek that borders the front half of the farm. There are small vines growing on some of the trees along the edge off the woodline, and single plants growing along the edge of the pastures and into the yard. My wife got it so bad back in May when we got here, she had to get two prednisone (spelling?)shots, and a bunch of prescription antihistamines. She ended up taking tumeric, Vit B3 and C, and Se drank alot of goat milk, from goats that had been eating poison ivy, and used jewelweed as someone before mentioned. Now she'll get it, but only a small blister or two as opposed to the hue belts of blisters she had a few months ago. She also practically bathes in dawn dish soap after being anywhere near the poison. I have been chopping the vines near the roots of the trees, and the goats have been taking care of what's in the woods, as far as the edges of the grass, the weedeater and lawnmower. We rotate the goats with fence panels and electric netting, they like wild roses better, but eat the poison ivy too. Goats are a pain in the rear at first, but once you get used to em, they have twice the personality of dogs, and the kids are worth their weight in entertainment. We are up to 11, Saanens, Nubian and Nigerian Dwarf. I rew up on a beef farm, but goat milk is the bomb, one of our Nigerians makes enough cream so we can make butter and ice cream, nothin like homemade ice cream with maple syrup and black walnuts! Good luck!!
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12