+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indiana weather the next week

We're indoors, but starting with a completely new room for the evaporator so we'll see how it goes. We did a short test boil on Wednesday without the hood and the new cupola worked great, but with these winds it's hard telling what will happen.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

After boiling in 40+ MPH winds yesterday I'm happy to say that 1) our relocated stack didn't blow away and/or fall down, and 2) our new cupola works great. We were able to keep the north (windward) side closed and the wind basically sucked the steam out the south side. A couple of times we did get a draft back in from the south it cleared out in a couple of minutes. This is the first season we haven't had rain falling from the roof, it's really nice.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN

Quote Originally Posted by DougM View Post
    After boiling in 40+ MPH winds yesterday I'm happy to say that 1) our relocated stack didn't blow away and/or fall down, and 2) our new cupola works great. We were able to keep the north (windward) side closed and the wind basically sucked the steam out the south side. A couple of times we did get a draft back in from the south it cleared out in a couple of minutes. This is the first season we haven't had rain falling from the roof, it's really nice.
    Nice! I didn't have time to get my arch bricked, so I have the pan on a cinderblock arch outside right next to the lake. The wind coming across the lake does a good job on the steam when not too strong, but I'll be moving it inside next year for sure. Hoping things run tomorrow and Saturday - let me know what you see...if it's good I'll head down to boil Saturday rather than Sunday. This warm weekend weather is nuts...I pulled my last 25 gallons out of my tanks Sunday and brought home to boil and it started to turn. Poured out 5 gallons, and the rest boiled down to some very nutty tasting syrup. I may use it for cooking (I love heavy flavor syrup on salmon or a slow smoked pork butt) but not on pancakes.
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

I don't think we'll get sap until tomorrow afternoon, maybe they'll run all night on Saturday.
    We are having an open house day next Saturday, I hope we have sap for that. The forecast for next week looks like we might, but this up & down weather isn't helping.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN

Quote Originally Posted by DougM View Post
    I don't think we'll get sap until tomorrow afternoon, maybe they'll run all night on Saturday.
    We are having an open house day next Saturday, I hope we have sap for that. The forecast for next week looks like we might, but this up & down weather isn't helping.
    I agree with you about this weekend...tomorrow should be good, but it will probably stop Sunday if we hit the 60's. I like boiling in the warm weather, but this is crazy. Good luck with your open house, I think that's also the weekend of the national maple festival in Brown County. Hopefully you get some free interest generated from that.
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

If any of you come to the Festival. Stop in the Maple Market tent and say hello.. Hoosier Sugar Daddy booth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12