+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: idea for filter holder

We use an upside down tomato cage to hold an 8 quart orlon filter cone (and prefilter) over a large stainless steel pot. The large cages will fit over a 5 gallon pail (see the attached picture). Although a 3 wire cage would work, the four wire cage is perfect for the four filter loops.maple_syrup_filter_stand.jpg
    It was tough to pour syrup into the filter so we cut down the wires, bent them back a bit to hold the filter loops, and put some plastic tips on to make it a little safer.
    maple_syrup_filter_stand_2.jpg
    Last edited by sardine; 04-05-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sardine View Post
    We use an upside down tomato cage to hold an 8 quart orlon filter cone (and prefilter) over a large stainless steel pot. The large cages will fit over a 5 gallon pail (see the attached picture). Although a 3 wire cage would work, the four wire cage is perfect for the four filter loops.Attachment 16150
    Hey that's what I used to use also. A Large tomato cage.
    I now use a 7 gallon bucked that is set on my coffee pot.

Quote Originally Posted by psparr View Post
    Here's what I do. The bucket could be placed over any container. https://youtu.be/9kdVThgyq_M
    This is the way to go. I use flat filters right in the coffee urn and bottle straight from the tap. I clip the filters to the urn using spring hand clamps. I never turn the urn on, the hot syrup needs no extra heat as the urn capably holds all the heat in. I usually put a small plate or something over the top of everything to help hold in heat while bottling, but if the syrup flows well I probably don't even need that as the filters act as a lid to the filtered syrup below. I picked up my urn for $5.99 at the good will.
    JC

44° 55' 23" N

2x6 smoky lake divided pan custom arch ‘The fire truck’

That.is.brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    This is the way to go. I use flat filters right in the coffee urn and bottle straight from the tap. I clip the filters to the urn using spring hand clamps. I never turn the urn on, the hot syrup needs no extra heat as the urn capably holds all the heat in. I usually put a small plate or something over the top of everything to help hold in heat while bottling, but if the syrup flows well I probably don't even need that as the filters act as a lid to the filtered syrup below. I picked up my urn for $5.99 at the good will.
    Can you show me a photo of how you are using the flat filters inside the coffee urn please?

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper2 View Post
    Hey that's what I used to use also. A Large tomato cage.
    I now use a 7 gallon bucked that is set on my coffee pot.
    Looks like I am following the same path - picked up coffee urn at a rummage sale and will give it a try this year.

Flat filters, in a tall SS pot, thick filter is held in place with clothes pins, up to 6 pre-filters lay in place on top, pull each pre-filter as they stop flowing. Cover the top with a cover to keep the heat in. Tried the cone filters and found they held way too much syrup compared to the synthetic flat filters and were harder to clean. Wash and freeze the filters between filters and warm up over arch before using to help with the flow.
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

Used a 2/3 rds size steam table pan cut a hole in the bottom then soldered on a ring that exactly fits the inside diameter of my water jacket bottler. Place a stainless cooling rack inside lay 1/4 size filter sheets ontop (they overlap the side of the pan a few inches on all sides) then cover to keep heat / moisture in. Jay

Filter (2).jpg Filter (1).jpg 16 Bottler With Filter.jpg
    Zucker Lager

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123