+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: idea for filter holder

We use an upside down tomato cage to hold an 8 quart orlon filter cone (and prefilter) over a large stainless steel pot. The large cages will fit over a 5 gallon pail (see the attached picture). Although a 3 wire cage would work, the four wire cage is perfect for the four filter loops.maple_syrup_filter_stand.jpg
    It was tough to pour syrup into the filter so we cut down the wires, bent them back a bit to hold the filter loops, and put some plastic tips on to make it a little safer.
    maple_syrup_filter_stand_2.jpg
    Last edited by sardine; 04-05-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sardine View Post
    We use an upside down tomato cage to hold an 8 quart orlon filter cone (and prefilter) over a large stainless steel pot. The large cages will fit over a 5 gallon pail (see the attached picture). Although a 3 wire cage would work, the four wire cage is perfect for the four filter loops.Attachment 16150
    Hey that's what I used to use also. A Large tomato cage.
    I now use a 7 gallon bucked that is set on my coffee pot.

Quote Originally Posted by psparr View Post
    Here's what I do. The bucket could be placed over any container. https://youtu.be/9kdVThgyq_M
    This is the way to go. I use flat filters right in the coffee urn and bottle straight from the tap. I clip the filters to the urn using spring hand clamps. I never turn the urn on, the hot syrup needs no extra heat as the urn capably holds all the heat in. I usually put a small plate or something over the top of everything to help hold in heat while bottling, but if the syrup flows well I probably don't even need that as the filters act as a lid to the filtered syrup below. I picked up my urn for $5.99 at the good will.
    JC

44° 55' 23" N

2014 9 backyard taps finished 32 8 oz bottles
    2015 11 taps finished 52 8 oz bottles, added 2nd 55 gallon steel drum evaporator
    2016 25 taps finished 67 8 oz bottles, syrup open house event
    2017 29 taps finished 105 8 oz bottles (6.5 gallons), entered in MN State Fair

That.is.brilliant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123