+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taps

Default Taps

I have a mix of taps, but over the years have gone mostly to the "tree saver" taps with the check valve (little ball in it).
    I am exclusively drop lines to buckets.
    Without looking, I think the "tree savers" are 5/16".

Is there a "vented" version of plastic taps?
    Looking at a receipt from Leader in 2012 I bought 10 taps ... item #4778S description ...Spout UNVENTED 7/16".

What about when you go with Drop lines to a mainline and it is gravity only (no vacuum), should the line be vented?
    Any input will be appreciated.

Hello BigPine:

Don't vent.

Terry
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

At one time venting was done, but testing soon showed that venting was a bad idea. The tap holes dry up sooner when vented and you get less sap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    At one time venting was done, but testing soon showed that venting was a bad idea. The tap holes dry up sooner when vented and you get less sap.
    That is what I thought I read somewhere. Does that mean the 'check valve' type taps will produce more sap - for the same reason?
    This is a lot of questions, but - the 'check valve' taps I have are 5/16". My other taps are 7/16". Why not have 7/16" with a check valve? How does hole diameter come into play?
    Appreciate any input.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPine View Post
    That is what I thought I read somewhere. Does that mean the 'check valve' type taps will produce more sap - for the same reason?
    This is a lot of questions, but - the 'check valve' taps I have are 5/16". My other taps are 7/16". Why not have 7/16" with a check valve? How does hole diameter come into play?
    Appreciate any input.
    The internal scarring in a tree tapped with a 5/16 hole is about 1/2 that of a 7/16 hole. Studies show yields with 5/16 under gravity are about 95% of 7/16 yield and about equal if the tree is under vacuum. 95% of the sap with half the tree damage is a no brainer.

+ Reply to Thread