+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 500 ft roll 3/4", can I unroll it myself?

I have did it myself by setting a 55 gallon drum in a small snowbank. if its i1/2 full of water for weight even better. Throw some snow all around the roll so it gets slippery. I have did many rolls this way and pulled it out with the 4 wheeler. Its best to have a 2nd person by the barrel to help it get started, but can do it yourself if need be, just have to be a little more creative.

If you have an empty barrel and is cold enough, sometimes you can get the whole barrel to start spinning in the snow bank. If its above freezing and watery it will be a bit harder as there is more friction, thats when a 2nd person really is almost necessary.
    Last edited by markcasper; 02-11-2016 at 10:27 PM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Build one of these. It Did not take long, saved a ton on cuss words and you get a nice straight line with no twists in it. We did it by hand previously and this was well worth the little time it took to assemble. One person can pull off the entire length with no issues. It is built using a partial sheet of OSB and some scrap lumber. It is all mounted on a utility cart wheel fastened to the OSB and then mounted on a trailer. Could be built to sit on the ground though. We used the utility cart wheel because we had it and we could use all threaded as the shaft. A bicycle wheel would work also. I suppose any wheel would work as long as it is large enough to balance the board on. Sorry about the sideways picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have normally done this on my own. Remove all but one of the coil ties that are holding the coil of main line together. attach the free end of the mainline to your mail line tensioner. then, you can start to roll out your coil of tubing by sliding the last of the coil ties around the coil as you unroll it. the nice thing is if you need to stop the coil stays together. It gets a little easier once you have uncoiled a short amount of mainline which takes the pressure off the coil tie.

When you go to attach the mainline to the wire support, attach a hose clamp to hold the mail line tubing to the wire just tight enough so you can slide the hose clamp down the line/wire. This helps take the slack out of the mail line as you tie it up with wire ties to the support wire.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    When you go to attach the mainline to the wire support, attach a hose clamp to hold the mail line tubing to the wire just tight enough so you can slide the hose clamp down the line/wire. This helps take the slack out of the mainline as you tie it up with wire ties to the support wire.
    You can use a clevis for this too.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Built something very similar to empty pockets device, except I sandwiched the roll between 2 pieces of plywood that I rounded and just rolled it through the woods. Simple, Saves a lot of frustration, and one person can handle it. Think I might add the wheel and a trailer next time too!

Well, I made the attempt to roll it out yesterday. My young son helped and it was a blessing he was there to help. We simply did it by hand. I cut the straps and hugged the roll, kinda bouncing and spinning it as he pulled and walked away from me.

It at times was tricky, roll wanted to unravel, tube was curving around the farther he walked, it was getting heavy for him. Eventually he could not pull the line after maybe 200 ft. I then with the remaining roll in my arms, I walked backwards from our starting point unwinding the roll to give lots of slack. The more pipe that came off the easier it was to work with. I guess I walked backwards another 200ft. and then left the roll on the ground. I went to the front tube where my son was and started pulling until we reached the farthest back tree.

We have both ends anchored, mainline is off the ground the full distance, cheap ratchet strap holding it taunt right now, some wire ties in place. Too cold to stretch the tube to its permanent stiffness. More work to do on it, but I feel the worst part is over.

Thanks for the great posts giving suggestions, it gave me the strength mentally to tackle it, lol.

Cant wait to firm it up and get some saddles and laterals attached !!

Thanks everyone.

Terry
    Last edited by TerryEspo; 02-14-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12