+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did an oops!

Default Did an oops!

OK, so should have known better after all these years. Left a pot of left over sap on the kitchen wood stove to cook down over night. I got up at midnight and it was fine. Ron woke up and smelled something around 3a.m. a blue hazy handing over the inside of the house and the stinkvof burned syrup. The pot had boiled over. Syrup not burned. Now a big batch of something I've never seen. Taste is fantastic. Not sweet to make you gag. SmoIMG_20160206_122830.jpgoth and like a soft caramel. Ate it off a spoon. I'm putting it in small jars. Dont know what it will turn to. Anyone have ideas!?

Quote Originally Posted by highlandcattle View Post
    Dont know what it will turn to. Anyone have ideas!?
    Did you ever see the prequel to the movie "The Blob"?
    Last edited by DoubleBrookMaple; 02-06-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Eric of the Greens... I Fly Solo...
    2013-15 Block arch to having it all...
    2016...320 on vacuum. 155 gravity, 90 buckets.
    All homemade equipment except Smokey Lake pans.
    2x6 arch, Electric releaser w/ Gast 1023 24" vacuum
    2x4x40 RO w/ dual 265gph Procons
    My PWS with webcam... https://www.wunderground.com/persona...READS2#history

OK. I let some set up in a ramikin. Turned to grainy but good "sugar" then heated it in a water bath. Bottom layer is grainy and top is liquid. Need help on what to do with this. Not wasting it.

Maybe try taking it back to syrup density with some fresh boiled sap. Treat it like over dense syrup. I don't think this will bottle well as it is now. It's too dense and likely to crystallize further.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Try stirring it into cream or sugar or add water or sap to it to bring it back to syrup density.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I boiled some down last year until it got to about 260 then poured it into a glass pan let it sit and crystallize. Threw it into a ziplock ag in freezer and I take some out and set on a paper towel ever so often. The liquid evaporates off and or the paper towel soaks up some. Then I nibble on it like candy. My wife is not impressed with it but I love it.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Kind of similar... I ran out of propane for my outdoor burner last night and brought my boil inside to the stove. Long story short, I fell asleep and woke up to a slight burning smell. Ran into the kitchen and found a pot full of angry looking foam. I quick poured some fresh cold sap in and it settled down and then I had some VERY dark liquid in my pot.

Question is... Did I salvage my syrup or do I just have some dark colored sap? I tasted it and it tastes pretty good, but with a slight burnt taste. Sort of a grade B taste. The pot isn't scorched completely, only a small burn spot in one area. Could I combine this with some lighter near-syrup, finish and filter it and be OK? I hate to throw it out. I was so close to having a mistake free season too.
    Year 1: 7 taps total. One gallon of syrup made over wood and propane.
    Year 2: Missed out due to moving during maple season!
    Year 3: 6 taps. Propane only this time.

Been there. Last year I left a batch going while I grabbed a quick dinner. Came back and had to quickly add some sap and try to save it. Ended up with a couple qts of very dark syrup with that slight burnt taste. I decided not to blend it into my good syrup, just bottled it separately. I made candy with some of it and it was very good. I still have one pint jar of it just in case I run out of syrup..it's still better than fake syrup. Don't throw it out if it tastes good!

I would tune it into sugar.
    2013 25 taps 2.5 gallons
    2014 60 taps 9.5 gallons
    2015 12 x 16 sugar shack 200 taps 1500' 5/16 lines gravity. Home made arch, 2 x 3 pan and 18" x 24" steam pan.
    2016 2 x 5 Smokey Lake hybrid pan. Custom steam hood and float box. Number of taps yet to be determined.
    2017 Made 27 gallons. Added 60 taps on 3/16 lines.
    2018 Adding more 3/16 lines. Made 55 gallons
    2019 Added 4 totes for sap storage. Big shack upgrades.

Highcattle, What you have there is one of the best cooking glazes you could ask for. Put in canning jars and keep to cook with. Add that instead of sugar to recipes, Glaze a ham or fried rice. endless uses.
    Tap'em if ya got'em.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast