+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completed - Our Non-traditional Looking Sugarhouse

Hybrid View

Default Completed - Our Non-traditional Looking Sugarhouse

In June 2013, my wife and I started construction on a new sugarhouse to replace the leanto that we had boiled under from 2008 through 2013. Originally I had planned on a smaller structure to house only the evaporator so I wouldn’t have to deal with the wind, snow, and rain that occurs often during syrup season. However, when I approached my wife with this idea, she suggested going larger and having running water so we could do all our bottling and washing of equipment in it as well. She also suggested finishing the interior to meet food sanitation regulations so we could apply for licensure. As a result, we ended up with a 16’ by 24’ structure and now use the original leanto for wood storage. Although we have used this building for the past two syrup seasons, it was not until recently that we finally finished with all the interior work, which included upgrading the evaporator. It took us this long, because my wife and I did all the work by ourselves. Attached to this post are 5 pictures showing our original leanto and evaporator; getting ready to break ground in June 2013 (our property is not at all level); footings poured and blocks laid to provide us with the required 48” deep footings; ready to pour the concrete floor; walls up and sheeted with rafters in place. I will add two more posts with more pictures.01.jpg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

The pictures attached to this post show the roof ready for shingles; setting the cupola in place (my wife did a nice job of doing this – not bad since this was her first time using a unit like this); interior walls insulated and sheeted, and ceiling insulation going up; two pictures showing the finished exterior of the sugarhouse and woodshed. The green pole barn structure in the last picture is used for additional wood storage and for storing sap prior to processing.26.jpg27.jpg28.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    WesFab 7" filter press

The pictures attached to this post show our new evaporator setup for 2016; storage closet with an insulated 100 gallon feed tank on top and the entrance door to the right; our bottling area with our movable storage table; sink for washing equipment, hand-washing sink, and stove (the hand-washing sink had to be added to be able to be licensed according to the food inspector); filter press cart and entrance to the wood storage area. All wall and ceiling surfaces are covered with fiberglass reinforced panels to allow for washing if needed. All trim work and ceiling firring strips are made of vinyl, held in place by stainless steel fasteners. As shown in the last picture, we also installed satellite TV for a little entertainment when needed.04.jpg11.jpg18.jpg19.jpg21.jpg
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    WesFab 7" filter press

Nice job. Very clean and modern. What material is that on the walls and ceilings?
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Sugarmaker View Post
    Nice job. Very clean and modern. What material is that on the walls and ceilings?
    I'm guessing it's fiberglass panels like menards sells. We just did our bottling room with the same.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Sugarmaker View Post
    The walls and ceiling are covered with fiberglass reinforced panels (FRP) that we purchased from Menards. We went through a lot of glue and fasteners attaching it.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    WesFab 7" filter press

Great work! As the people who were fortunate enough to purchase MISugarDaddy's Patrick Phaneuf evaporator through Maple Trader, we've seen their beautiful new sugar house and it is a dandy! We look forward to our first year of sugarin' on our own here in central WI, albeit in a much more humble setup. We have a few more items to install and will post photos during the upcoming season.

AWESOME!
    Gold Standard.

That's very cool! Interesting concept.

WOW,,,,Top Notch Job!

Speechless.

Thanks for sharing.
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast