+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy a mainline drill or not to buy a main line drill...

Default To buy a mainline drill or not to buy a main line drill...

Hey guys, I understand the need for the lateral line tools to install connectors and drop lines that I totally see as needed. however, have people successsfully drilled into their mainlines using 12 volt drills drills and not using the "specially designed" hand main line drills? Just trying to save a buck or two here. I'm not a huge operation.

I used a bit with electrical tape on it for a stop before I bought a tool it worked. The key is to go slow and make sure the mainline does not turn when your drilling. Quite a few people have made mainline drills as well I know there is at least one thread with very good pictures.
    Jared

Problem with using a powered drill is making sure you dont hit the bottom of the line when the bit goes through. Also keeping it from egging out the hole when you quick stop pushing so you dont drill straight through. This will cause saddles to leak.

There isnt much to a mainline tap, you can buy the bit with the milled collar. Then just find a nut that threads on it and weld up a pair of vicegrips. Just make sure uou buy the corrext size for the saddle you are going to use. They are not all the same .
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

If you use a pilot point bit with a drill stop (get a set and use one for your tapping bit as well) you will not go through the pipe. Once you get the pilot slowly started then finish off quick. It works if you hold the line well and are careful.

That said...I have since purchased a mainline drill. Way easier.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

shouldn't have to push so hard that you hit the bottom of pipe, especially when you know your near end. ive never hit bottom. seems pretty simple with a drill for me no issues and makes a nice tight fit that i force the fitting into so no chance of vac leak, then the rubber gasket.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by mellondome View Post

There isnt much to a mainline tap, you can buy the bit with the milled collar. Then just find a nut that threads on it and weld up a pair of vicegrips. Just make sure uou buy the corrext size for the saddle you are going to use. They are not all the same .
    i bought a 500 ft of 1 season used 3/4 leader p30 with saddle holes and a bag full on new saddles and used hand drill bit part like you see in the suging books. a pair vice grips, nut and a few small pieces of metal, my little mig and a few mins staring at it in bascom`s catalog and 42 mins later i had a saddle hand drill . if you can do make it , its more cost effective
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

To avoid drilling too deep on a mainline, I slid a piece of tubing the same size as the drill bit I was using over the drill bit exposing only about 1/2" of the bit's tip. Since I have begun using it, I haven't screwed up a mainline hole yet.
    Gary

Being a small producer you can definitely use a cordless drill instead of buying the hand mainline drill. I split a piece of 2x4 in half and cut a V in it so that it would sit on top of the mainline. I then drilled a hole in the center of the V to drill down through. The tip of the drill bit sticks down through the hole just far enough to drill through the top of the pipe without going through the bottom.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Several years ago I made a simple jig similar to Russell Lamprons. Used a 2x4 block with a notch cut into side (c shaped slot) to slide over main line. Then drilled hole down thru top. Holds mainline in place and cut the block length long enough so the bit only goes part way thru main line. Works well.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

I used a step bit worked fine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast