+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hate filtering!!!!

If everyone on here ignores anything I ever say, listen to me about my filtering process.

I draw of just before syrup.
    Finish in a 10 gallon stock pot over propane with a spigot 1" off the bottom.
    When finished, turn heat off and let settle for a day or two.
    Draw syrup out of stock pot leaving the niter below the spigot.
    Re-heat in a double-boiler. This is probably the most important part. Heating over direct flame will only produce more niter.
    When back up to 190-200 degrees, pour through a pre-moistened wool filter with a pre-filter inside it.
    I use custom filter box welded inside another post that keeps the syrup hot. I filter over the stove with the water in the lower pot just simmering to keep the syrup above 180 degrees.

Without trying to brag, I get almost perfectly clean syrup with almost no niter every after sitting for a year. Its simple and easy and stress-free.

Thread about my filter box

db3.JPG
    Last edited by Woodsrover; 02-16-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

I'm new to sugaring but I was convinced last year to get a filter press. I think it is the single greatest improvement to the quality of my syrup.

I quickly saw the benefits of efficient and high quality filter after the draw off. But more than that, later in the season you can use it to clean out the syrup pan and bring your product back to a cleaner and lighter grade.

I'll bet it's like air conditioning in your car - would you ever go back?
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

This has been a great thread, this is my method as of the 2018 season https://youtu.be/7FskrCyu_hY
    Improvements I plan to initiate this season as a result of reading this thread. I hope to build a surround to go around my filter rack (possibly bucket), I also will be taking my cone filter and storing it in a clean bucket after filtering and eventually rinsing it in the sap barrel from the next run. Thanks for the collage of great methods!

I think the most intriguing concept of date is the vacuum filters
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345