+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hate filtering!!!!

Yeah, 3 pages of trolls!! Stupid comment

Quote Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
    I find it so hard to believe and very frustrating to read, to have such a problem with such a simple process. I've used flat filters since I've been doing this with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Maybe this guy is just a troll!
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Ash, the colander looks to have a lot of holes, but it will still hold back a lot of syrup and cool fast. I found a stainless wire fryer basket that is a lot more open and it improved my filtering. Search for wire baskets and see what you find. here's an example

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...e+fryer+basket

Ok, now you got me looking for the right products. I then stumbled on a BBQ Grilling Basket. Never heard of a grilling basket, but it looks about perfect:

15" x 11" x 2": Culina Grilling Basket

Not sure if the shallow larger surface area is better for syrup heat retention or the round but very deep one that buckeye gold posted. I think either looks promising.
    2021 - 15 taps
    2020 - 20 taps, 2 gallons syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 2.1 gallons syrup
    2014 - 14 taps, 1.1 gallons syrup

Smells Like Syrup, wasn't referring to all the comments, just the one. Baby wipes, come on Think about it! And everyone wonders why the FDA is getting involved. Stupid is right on!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
    Smells Like Syrup, wasn't referring to all the comments, just the one. Baby wipes, come on Think about it! And everyone wonders why the FDA is getting involved. Stupid is right on!!!!!
    Couldn't agree more. No matter how clean baby wipes are, you simply can't use it as filter.
    Last edited by Abattoir; 02-16-2019 at 09:31 PM.

I always hate filtering too, had the same problems. I did not see this mentioned but there is a trick to help with the cone filter. Someone on here makes it I forget what it's called now but it should help, it creates a top hat configuration using SS wire, you can buy it from the guy. I do similar but use a colander upside down. I still have the problem of disappearing syrup like you do but it filters quickly and nice quality.

Just remembered the name he calls it the optomiser.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Best luck with filtering yet was last year using white t shirt material.
    Bought 3 pack shirts $10, wash and cut squares from the shirts, tripled up in a SS wire mesh strainer, remove layers as they plug up.
    Crystal clear and no settlement at all in the finished product. Small time, 1 gallon syrup per boil. reusable material.
    Agree though filtering has been the biggest challenge over the years, no more.
    Also like the idea of letting the niter settle out for a spell.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

I tried clean white T-shirts a few times but wasn't happy with them...the weave was inconsistent from batch to batch so the nitre-laden syrup might just shoot right through, or filter slowly as is ideal.

So I have gone back to using only paper coffee filters - go to CostCo and get like 600 for $5. They are cheap, they work (I clip them onto plastic food-grade funnels that are used only for sugaring, with wooden clothespins that have been boiled to leach off any chemicals, and air-dried) and when one clogs up with nitre, you can slip a replacement funnel/filter setup underneath and remove the junky one. If there is still some syrup in the junky one you can pierce the bottom of the filter with a sharp knife. Yes some nitre will get through but a lot will stay stuck in the pleats of the coffee filter. And I often burn the used filters cause they're paper and the sugar makes for a nice little jolt in the fire!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Quote Originally Posted by barnbc76 View Post
    I always hate filtering too, had the same problems. I did not see this mentioned but there is a trick to help with the cone filter. Someone on here makes it I forget what it's called now but it should help, it creates a top hat configuration using SS wire, you can buy it from the guy. I do similar but use a colander upside down. I still have the problem of disappearing syrup like you do but it filters quickly and nice quality.

Just remembered the name he calls it the optomiser.
    Yes, it is called the Optimizer. We have been making and selling them for 3 years. It uses standard cone filters and really makes filtering easier. There is a thread in this forum called "How to use all of a cone filter" that talks about it in depth. Also here is video on the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH1-udM8VNU&t=34s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast