+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hate filtering!!!!

Lots of great info I agree with. I too struggled with filtering for years till I figured out a system that worked for me.

1. filter hot off the evaporator with prefilter into a drawoff tank
    2. let syrup settle in drawoff tank for serveral days adding every boil
    3. empty drawoff tank slowly so you don't disturb niter on bottom
    4. finish syrup to proper density and filter again
    5. Bottle syrup

The step of settling the syrup in the tank removes tons of niter sometimes there would be an inch of niter on the bottom.

Nathan
    123 taps 2012
    175 taps 2013
    250 taps 2014
    3 Sap Haulers & 1 Maple Widow
    2X6 Smokey maple pans

http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a41784e5..._playback_link

Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    The only year I have done this so far I tried filtering luke warm syrup through a coffee filter or a cleaned baby wipe. I thought I needed some pressure to push it through the filter so I took a piece of 6 ft pex with a funnel at the top. The bottom of the pex had the filter ballooned and clamped to the hose with a hose clamp. 6 ft gives about 2.6 psi. I felt like this helped, but I may have eventually just damaged the filter to get it to flow.
    I'm having a hard time getting past the "or a cleaned baby wipe" part. Are you saying the baby wipe was once......uh....not clean?

Cleaned to get the chemicals or whatever comes on them. Or maybe I mixed them up???
    2021 - 15 taps
    2020 - 20 taps, 2 gallons syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 2.1 gallons syrup
    2014 - 14 taps, 1.1 gallons syrup

There are even larger producers who use filters rather than a filter press. Check out some of the filtering posts by mountainvan. He uses filter aid and flat filters.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

how do you know you got all the chemicals out of the baby wipes????

I finish my syrup inside on my stove but when I draw off I found that the setup to hold filters was awkward so I purchased a poultry killing cone to hold my paper filters and just mounted that on my draw-off bucket
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

I find it so hard to believe and very frustrating to read, to have such a problem with such a simple process. I've used flat filters since I've been doing this with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Maybe this guy is just a troll!
    Last edited by mapleguy; 02-12-2016 at 07:50 AM.

This is only my second year so I'm still figuring out what works and what doesn't. The wipe was only for the last bit that was getting close to the settled niter that just completely blocked the coffee filter. This year I I purchased the flat filters but don't have anything to sit them in. A different thread said to lay them in a wire basket but I'm not sure where to buy. I suspect more people aren't doing the flat filter due to the container needed. My other idea was to force the syrup through using gravity through a 6-10ft pipe with filter hose clamped on the end. This should create a few psi of pressure to help it along.
    2021 - 15 taps
    2020 - 20 taps, 2 gallons syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 2.1 gallons syrup
    2014 - 14 taps, 1.1 gallons syrup

I have seen screens that sit across a kitchen sink that may work with a pot under it.

This is the idea. Need something with sides to keep the syrup in.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

I haven't done any yet but I was going to get a couple flat filters and put them in my ss colander like below

http://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Micr...words=colander

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast