+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Journey's end maple farm

Hybrid View

Default Journey's end maple farm

Finally found some time to sit down and post a new thread. I have found out this year that 600+ taps is a bit much for one person to handle alone. Finished out 20 gallons of syrup today on the old 2x6. Took only about 4 1/2 hours of boiling. Gotta love the RO!. My new found love and future wife had a grand time canning syrup and talking to all the visitors we had today. I had to pinch myself a couple of times to make sure I was not dreaming! I thought for sure all the "stress" and freaking out I have been going thru the last month with this strange season would have made her run the other way, but it has brought us closer. Life is good! Hopefully by tommorow we should be hitting the 50 gallon mark. Still a lot of catching up to do.

Marty
    Just over 2000 taps
    30x8 Leader Max flue with cross flow pans and homemade reverse oil fired arch

www.facebook.com/JourneysEndMapleFarm/

HanginAround Guest

Sounds like things are going well for you!

Finally hit the 75 gallon mark with 15 gallons of dark last night. The forcast looks good for the next couple of nights. I am hoping to hit at least the big 100. I went around and patted the trees and gave them a little pep talk. My neighbor showed up with 3 empty beer kegs today. Great timing! Now if I only can get them filled......

Marty
    Just over 2000 taps

That was fast Marty. The last time I talked to you you didn't even have a girl friend. Now you are getting married! I wish you the best of luck.

Even with the problems I have had with my RO this season I still love it.

I just passed 50 gallons for the season. I know that the syrup that I have in bulk is heavy and could pick up a gallon or so there when I correct the density. The temps look good for a run tomorrow. I hope it is a good one, the trees at my parents house aren't doing anything.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Marty-

I know exactly what you mean, and you have an RO. Come up here for a day. Hey did you ever get your boards for the Sugar House? I can get ahold of the guy down the road if you need me to.

This can't be the same girl you were dating that didn't want you splitting wood one day, since you said she was in the sugar house. Unless you converted her. Good for you. I know where you can get some syrup for wedding favors at a good price.... :-)

No, Anne is difinitly not the same girl. She stayed in the sugarhouse tonight with me till we emptyed the tank. Boiled in over 500 gallons in a little over 4 hours I think. She got all the syrup I bottled up the last time graded and labeled. It sure is a great feeling to be working side by side late into the night together. We should be at or over the 84 gallon mark. The sap looked kinda nasty and smelled funny, but tasted great and looked like a light dark amber after it was all said and done.
    Matt, I have not got the siding done on the sugarhouse yet. It is on the really must to do list. I will be heading your way with a trailer when the season gets over and I have the time. I am getting real tired of looking at that housewarp!

Marty
    Just over 2000 taps

+ Reply to Thread