+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar content looks good so far

Default Sugar content looks good so far

I'm just a backyard enthusiast. 30 taps in the last two days. Almost all red maples with the rest sugar maples. Sap running well from the trees that are getting a lot of sun; the ones deeper in the woods not so much. Sugar content 2% - no difference between the red and sugar maples - but from what I read that is normal at the start of the season.

First year in the new sugar shack and running wood instead of outdoors using propane... I am really happy about that!

Good luck to everyone - i am sure it will freeze solid again at some point but nice to have some early productivity (who would have thought we'd have to choose between boiling and watching the Super Bowl....)

bucket.jpgsugar shack 1.jpg

My sugars are ALWAYs alittle sweeter even in the beginning, when I check the bucket sap (all sugars) especially in the beginning of the season its its closer to 3% mostly red on the vacuum tubing usually 1.5% to 2.25%. I like the bucket sap because it raises the sugar level when it gets mixed together. Less processing more syrup faster.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

+ Reply to Thread