+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    If I could have taken the time to do an acid wash on my RO I might have been able to get the flow rates back and not go through so much wood. For the last week I haven't been able to get the concentrate sweet enough. A regular soap wash would get the flow rates good enough to get about 300 gallons sweet but when you have 1000 plus not so much.

I need a bigger RO!!!
    i would be interested in your ro
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

I got most of the taps pulled today and the buckets are pulled, washed and put away. I saved the worst for last. I've got to go through the swamp and pull taps. Some of those are so high that I can hardly reach them and the footing isn't the best being a swamp and all.

I'm almost done finishing off the evaporator. When I'm done I should end up with 172 gallons of syrup produced this year and none of it is commercial. Not bad considering the weather and how it looked like it was going to be a short season. My taps have been in for 2 months and I got sap for 7 weeks before I turned off the vacuum pump. There is 150 gallons of milky sap in the tank that came in last week while the pump was off. The trees were running today while I was pulling taps, they just don't want to give up this year. Most of the reds are flowering now so it was time to call it a season last Sunday when I did.

There is no such thing as a normal season and this one was one of the strangest.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Just wanted to say thanks for the information on the "Bubbler" , I had a great season 107 gallons and nothing darker than DR and that wasn't that dark. It was just darker than Amber rich. It worked great , pan cleanup was super easy and the almost non use of defoamer was a bonus. So thanks again and glad you had a good season, Allen @ Lakeview Mapleleaf.jpg
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

I went down to see Chris and check out the new Maple Guys store this morning. It is a nice set up and it was nice to see Chris again.

Clean up is well under way here and the weather looks good for washing tanks and stuff tomorrow. I'm well ahead of last year as far as the clean up goes. Last year we had our last boil on the 12th of April. I'm glad it ended earlier this year.

I did end up with 172 gallons for the season, just 3 gallons shy of what I wanted to make.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314